How to take off newsletter message: This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply

This is unbelievable.  A message like this belongs in a privacy or cookie policy, a website builder should never FORCE us to display it like this on our websites. It completely disregards design asthetics and our autonomy as business owners.

Do other email providers do this as well?

Edited by kerstinmartin

MyCalmBusinessLogoPinkOrange.thumb.png.f5629d5e37c4e5cc7e0e776894c7edaf.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I'm a Calm Business Educator who teaches solopreneurs how to deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

🎉  What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

8 hours ago, paul2009 said:

For the time being, you can hide the reCAPTCHA message by adding the following to Design > Custom CSS:

.newsletter-form-wrapper small {
  display: none;
}

Thanks for this, Paul! Do you know how to make this work for the promotional pop-up? I am just linking to my Privacy Policy where I've added this statement. Thanks!

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I'm a Calm Business Educator who teaches solopreneurs how to deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

35 minutes ago, kerstinmartin said:

Do you know how to make this work for the promotional pop-up?

No problem Kerstin. Great idea re the Privacy Policy.

I've updated the post to cover both the Newsletter Block and the Promotional Popup (copied below).

.newsletter-form-wrapper small, .sqs-popup-overlay-content small {
}

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

20 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

I've updated the post to cover both the Newsletter Block and the Promotional Popup (copied below).

}

Perfect! Thanks so much, Paul xo

5 hours ago, paul2009 said:

No problem Kerstin. Great idea re the Privacy Policy.

}

Hi @paul2009,

Tried your code but it's not working on my site. Until earlier today, @arlo's code was working on mine but it stopped all of a sudden. I guess they're still working on the update. 

Just out of curiosity... is your code still working on your site? If that's the case, I have no idea what could potentially be different on mine.

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, gbmarck said:

Tried your code but it's not working on my site.

19 hours ago, paul2009 said:

As this was recently introduced, Squarespace are likely to make changes to the Newsletter Block in the coming days/weeks. If this happens, the styling above may need to be modified.

As predicted, Squarespace are making changes to the code. Today’s recipe is:

/* Hide Google reCAPTCHA Disclaimer (06 June 2021) */
.newsletter-form-wrapper .form-submission-html+.newsletter-form-footnote, .sqs-popup-overlay-content .form-submission-html+.form-disclaimer-text {
}

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, paul2009 said:

The text will now be back.

Yes it is, but only if I have Recaptcha turned off in my verification settings. When I turn Recaptcha on, the text 'This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply', disappears. I'm assuming the engineers are still messing around with it?

7 minutes ago, Spennie said:

Yes it is, but only if I have Recaptcha turned off in my verification settings. When I turn Recaptcha on, the text 'This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply', disappears.

When you turn on the visible reCAPTCHA, the badge will appear instead. Google only require the message if the reCAPTCHA badge is not shown, so it is hidden.

3 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

When you turn on the visible reCAPTCHA, the badge will appear instead. Google only require the message if the reCAPTCHA badge is not shown, so it is hidden.

Oh, I see. I did wonder if that was the case. How does reCATCHA work if it's not visible though? How are people going to check the 'I'm not a robot box' if they can't see it?

4 minutes ago, Spennie said:

How does reCATCHA work if it's not visible though?

The invisible reCAPTCHA does not require the user to click on a checkbox. Instead it is invoked directly when the user clicks on the form submit button. You can read more about reCAPTCHA here: What is reCAPTCHA?

26 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

The invisible reCAPTCHA does not require the user to click on a checkbox. Instead it is invoked directly when the user clicks on the form submit button. You can read more about reCAPTCHA here: What is reCAPTCHA?

Ok thanks, that makes sense now. In that case I'd rather not have the ugly reCATCHA box so I've just turned it off. One problem I've noticed though is that when viewed on my Iphone, the disclaimer text at the bottom overlaps the signup box (see attached image) Any idea why this is happening? www.paulspencerart.com PW - Cheese

IMG_0557.PNG

Thank You SOOO MUCH Tuanphan. Mine is now fixed but your help is greatly appreciated - I thought there was no help on this matter until I didscovered this chat. You are all wonderful, helpful people. Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone! LUV Squarespace and it is SOOOO GOOD there are likeminded people helping others for free. 

Cheers

Chris

21 hours ago, paul2009 said:

}

Well, that stopped working today ;-( So I am using this but it hides the whole footer, including my own text. I'll leave it like this for now:

/* Hide reCAPTCHA message */
.sqs-block-newsletter .newsletter-form-footnote, .sqs-popup-overlay-content .form-disclaimer-text {
  display: none !important;
}

28 minutes ago, kerstinmartin said:

Well, that stopped working today

I posted today's recipe above 🙂

23 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Am still a bit confused with how the reCATCHA works if the "I'm not  a robot" check box is turned off...

When I set up reCAPTCHA I followed the Squarespace guide https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013193528-Adding-Google-reCAPTCHA-to-forms

In this it says...

"5. Click reCAPTCHA V2. Squarespace doesn't support reCAPTCHA V3.

6. Click "I'm not a robot" Checkbox. The other options aren't supported."

If the above is up-to-date and correct,  then reCAPTCHA will only work if the "i'm not a robot" check box is turned on? Or am i missing something here?

Also, when I set up my newsletter subscription and go to the "Verification" tab where the "Turn on reCAPTCHA" tick box is located, the only option is "to turn" or "turn off" reCAPTCHA. If it's turned off will reCAPTCHA actually work?

On 6/9/2021 at 8:13 AM, kerstinmartin said:

This is unbelievable.  A message like this belongs in a privacy or cookie policy, a website builder should never FORCE us to display it like this on our websites. It completely disregards design asthetics and our autonomy as business owners.

Do other email providers do this as well?

Noticed this on a client site this morning.

Totally agree with @kerstinmartin - it's bonkers!

Thanks @paul2009 for the recipes 😂 

8a. Side by side - Horizontal With Google Cloud (Squarespace Circle Profile).png

Rise Digital | Google Workspace Partners
We make companies more productive, with Google Workspace.
Let's connect on LinkedIn

I just contacted Customer Support and this is the answer I got: 

This is a feature that we recently implemented to help prevent spam from being submitted to your mailing lists. All Newsletter Blocks and Form Blocks are protected by invisible reCAPTCHA security, and the policy message you see is automatically added. It's not possible to remove this text at this time. Please note that this is a separate feature from the manual reCAPTCHA option and won't affect those options.

While this cannot be disabled, we appreciate the feedback, and I'm happy to pass your comments along to our Design and Engineering teams for review. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve, so we appreciate your input.

I'm very disappointed with this service, truly one of the worse experiences possible. 

@paul2009's solution below is currently working for me:

/* Hide Google reCAPTCHA Disclaimer (06 June 2021) */ .newsletter-form-wrapper .form-submission-html+.newsletter-form-footnote, .sqs-popup-overlay-content .form-submission-html+.form-disclaimer-text {   display: none; }

Though this one did not 

}

Edited by NEX

How can RECAPTURE Pop-Up ADVERTISING be Removed?

Hi, Does anyone know how to remove the new RE-CAPTURE pop-up ads? Does  anyone know the HTML CODE to stop these advertisements from appearing on our Squarespace websites? One keeps appearing on our website - it started a couple of weeks ago.  I believe they are GOOGLE advertisements for one of their brands

Many thanks for your support, 

Kindest Regards

Chris 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 6.30.32 pm.png

google-recaptcha-icon.gif.24c2d9de5be21ab7be5a167304062882.gif

Yet more advertising has started appearing on Squarespace sites in the form of the ugly Google animated icon above. 🤯

The CSS recipe to remove this is:

.grecaptcha-badge {
  display: none!important
}

I'm also getting the "This site is protected by reCAPTCHA…" disclaimer, even though I don't have reCAPTCHA turned on anywhere in my Squarespace settings. I see above that this was a bug that was fixed at some point? Is this the case? Did it break again.

Also, I just noticed that my Newsletter-block Submit button no longer works if 1Blocker is enabled, *even if* my website is whitelisted. So, it must be doing a callback to Google on Submit, even though I don't have it enabled. This sucks :(

4 hours ago, RussyQ said:

I'm also getting the "This site is protected by reCAPTCHA…" disclaimer, even though I don't have reCAPTCHA turned on anywhere in my Squarespace settings.

As I explained earlier in this [long] thread, the invisible Google reCAPTCHA is not optional.

If you enable the reCAPTCHA option, you are enabling the visible version. If you don’t enable it, Squarespace will enable the “invisible” one and show the disclaimer. As the reCAPTCHA relies on serving a Google cookie to a visitor’s browser, the Newsletter Block will not function if these are blocked.

Forcing the reCAPTCHA on us has not been helpful. I’m hopeful that Squarespace will review this decision and make the invisible reCAPTCHA optional in future. 

Edited by paul2009

On 6/19/2021 at 3:58 AM, Chris007 said:

How can RECAPTURE Pop-Up ADVERTISING be Removed?

Hi, Does anyone know how to remove the new RE-CAPTURE pop-up ads? Does  anyone know the HTML CODE to stop these advertisements from appearing on our Squarespace websites? One keeps appearing on our website - it started a couple of weeks ago.  I believe they are GOOGLE advertisements for one of their brands

Many thanks for your support, 

Kindest Regards

Chris 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 6.30.32 pm.png

I don't know how to remove the pop-up, but this isn't an advertisement. Rather it's the way that the reCAPTCHA service displays their privacy policy and terms and conditions to your site users, which they are required to do by GDPR law. It also can't be anywhere hidden, it must be clear and obvious for the visitor precisely where the data is being collected (so not on another page for example). Since your site is using reCAPTCHA, their privacy policy and terms and conditions must be displayed because reCAPTCHA is collecting data from your website users, so they are beholden to the responsibility to display their disclaimers to be a GDPR compliant tool. 

It would be nice if there were some display options we could choose from, but that's some of the reasoning at least.