• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Optimising Squarespace for performance

veganedge

Site URL: https://www.birdmafia.com

Hi all, 

hoping one of you can help give some insight for me.  Running pagespeed tests, my site always seems to be super slow scoring due to images in one way or another. I'm trying to find out if there's something I can do on my end to help this issue, or if it is how Squarespace formats, stores, or displays images for us...

I'm going to link some screenshots. I'm really trying to see what I can do for the top 3 issues that waste the most time on page loading.

This first one shows the total potential savings by optimizing for these issues. That's 45 seconds, but may not work that way as these issues could be inter-connected I guess.  I opened each issue so you could see the description of what it says.  Thanks for any help/info.

651741082_Screenshot2020-09-22at6_28_29AM.thumb.png.e8a989fb8025a9ba8504f024f48506b0.png782537232_Screenshot2020-09-22at6_28_11AM.thumb.png.099e8468c2e07d7314cfd8e731c05f19.png1276389434_Screenshot2020-09-22at6_27_49AM.thumb.png.e9a7a99618eedaea15598822243abca0.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are (not so patiently) waiting for Squarespace to give us a timeline/update on when they are going to speed the backend up. They have said they are working on it, but Google is dropping a big updat

Best tools for doing this type of analysis are GTMETRIX - because they offer good suggestions and easy to follow Lighthouse extension for Google Chrome - It's Google, it's local to your b

Hi team, A web developer colleague has put me onto this google speed testing tool: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ I have tested several of my Squarespace websites us

Posted Images

Hey @veganedgeThe tool is useful when coding your own site, but can present misleading results for sites built on a CMS platform, like Squarespace. You can find some information on this here: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206545657#toc-google-s-pagespeed-insights-errors

There is also a great guide on formatting images for web here, if you want to check it out:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/search?commit=Search&query=Formatting+your+images+for+display+on+the+web&utf8=✓

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Site URL: https://www.atlas.dental

I have a website www.atlas.dental that performs pretty well on the SERPs but could use improvements. These are the problems that I have identified:

1) Eliminating the Cumulative layout shift (CLS) problem

2) Decreasing time for First Contentful Paint and Largest Contentful Paint

3)Eliminating render-blocking resources problem

4)decreasing the total size of the website to load

5) Remove unused javascript

I am looking for some direction with whom to talk to about fixing these problems. Are they easy to fix on a Squarespace platform?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, atlasdentalto said:

1) Eliminating the Cumulative layout shift (CLS) problem

2) Decreasing time for First Contentful Paint and Largest Contentful Paint

3)Eliminating render-blocking resources problem

4)decreasing the total size of the website to load

5) Remove unused javascript

I am looking for some direction with whom to talk to about fixing these problems. Are they easy to fix on a Squarespace platform?

I'm looking for exactly the same assistance for my squarespace site!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issues with CLS and page speed/javascript. Getting really bad feedback from Google on CLS issues that seem baked into our theme.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same CLS issue in Google Search Console for 46 URLs.  It does not appear to be something I can change so over to Squarespace.

It does appear to be starting to impact search results so I am concerned Squarespace sites are going to be marked down in SERP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

After 8 weeks of optimizing and testing my website it appears CLS and first contentfull paint is affecting my search rankings. 

My rankings are extremely volatile as  each crawl produces different results. One week I’m number 2 on page 1 and the next I’m on page 2. Then I recrawl and bounce around and if I’m lucky in a crawl, I’ll go back up to the top of page 1, just to be pushed down again after a recrawl. I’m using theme version 7.0 (I think). Not the newest one. The last version.

In addition, I’m getting so many url (SRC) errors inside of Google search console. Every image on my website is doing it.

Please help Squarespace!

Edited by IamLovely
Mobile typing error

Same issue and it's greatly affecting my rankings. The only feedback I received bringing this up with customer support in March already is "we've noted this for our Design and Engineering teams to review, and they'll use this feedback when implementing fixes and improvements in future releases." Perhaps time to take my website elsewhere :((

Site URL: https://www.akrogoniaios.com/

Hi,

I am auditing my website to improve SEO. In all the audits using diffferent tools (Lighthouse, SEO Optimizer, SEMRush, it keeps saying that my website performance is slow.

But, SS is a bespoke SaaS product. 

Do you have any idea how to do this?

ss-seo-audit-report.jpg

We are (not so patiently) waiting for Squarespace to give us a timeline/update on when they are going to speed the backend up. They have said they are working on it, but Google is dropping a big update in just a few short weeks. In this update pagespeed is going to be a larger ranking factor then before so....

Pretty much all you can do is optimize images and video uploads, remove any JavaScript that you added, and everything is is untouchable by us. 

Personally this is very frustrating for me and my clients!

Jeremiah Svaren
Squarespace SEO 

www.svarenwebstudio.com

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I haven't added any javascripts (except Google analytics) and so, I guess the only thing to do is to wait on SS. Yes, it's frustrating 😞 They need to keep up with the search engines.

Edited by Rhonald
did not want to post another one for just one line.

It appears tha javascript used with SS is the most heaviest. In my audit (SEOOptimizer), the js came as the culprit slowing down the pages (I don't use any custom js except for accordation).

Best tools for doing this type of analysis are

• GTMETRIX - because they offer good suggestions and easy to follow
  • Lighthouse extension for Google Chrome - It's Google, it's local to your browser so more reliable than cloud.
  • Web.dev - to tick all the boxes....pre-connect etc...

There is also a GTM hack that will pull LCP values from core web vitals into Google Analytics for you, https://www.simoahava.com/custom-templates/core-web-vitals/.

JS in SS is heavy, some templates don't need all the assets it but I think they are working on it. I would be really surprised if SS didn't offer some support on this but the rollout of this is between mid June and August if memory serves me correctly.  Also, I do recommend that any third-party codes are removed from your website when doing performance checks, at least that way you can see if the problem is a poor third-party CDN.

Hope this helps

G.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

I'm joining this thread as just got same issues via web.dev. All other scores are 100/100 but the CLS issues on SQ still drop my performance to 51%, even after reducing java scripts and image sizes... 

As above, I'd love to hear from SQ if you're all doing something about it. 

Hi team,

A web developer colleague has put me onto this google speed testing tool: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

I have tested several of my Squarespace websites using the tool and they all get TERRIBLE ratings especially on mobile. 

Does anyone have advice on how to improve the ratings beyond making images smaller. We can't improve the format yet so that is out but what else can we do.

Cheers,

Brent