Understanding 7.1 Design

To be clear this is a constructive critique of the decisions of the Squarespace development team regarding version 7.1 implementation; one that I hope the moderators will consider leaving here for positive, useful discussion between fellow community members, and to explore the needs of long-time Squarespace clients and advocates such as myself.

My experience:

I recently started a new client site and was ushered into the 7.1 platform which I appreciate for its improved simplicity and the idea of a "single template", however, when a client changes their mind about design options and wants to try out different template examples (actually "design starting points" in 7.1), there is a glaring issue that is missing from version 7.0: You're required to start an entirely new site and/or manually change all aspects of the site (fonts, color, sizing etc.) in order to match the styles of a different template example; there is no more "template switching" option.

Thoughts on improvement / solutions:

I get it. I've read the help text and forum posts around this, but as a programmer myself, it seems rather trivial to be able to allow designers to "switch" to another "template" since in 7.1 this is now merely a series of settings. If the Squarespace development team is not interested in writing code to apply "template" settings to existing sites, it would be tremendously helpful for the Squarespace design/documentation teams to publish the settings for each design starting point (template) so site managers can quickly make manual changes to their sites to satisfy a client's desires. I wouldn't write this post if these "templates" were not published for clients to browse and ponder, and change their mind about.

Are there better solutions? Does this post make sense to anyone else? Am I missing something regarding 7.1 that would help with the situation described above?

Thanks for reading and responding in advance!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic