What are your favorite SEO copywriting tips?

SEO is all about doing what you can to ensure your content is a top result in searches for relevant keywords. Solid SEO copy helps your intended audience find  your site in the first place, pulling in those most likely to engage with your content and convert from visitors into customers. Working on your SEO copywriting is a great way to ensure your site ends up in front of the people who need or want it the most.

Ultimately, you want to create content that is useful to your customers. An easy way to get started is by researching what customers are asking you specifically (via your customer service or socials) or what people are asking Google about your keywords. You can do this by searching a related keyword and looking at the ‘People also ask’ box.

Once you know what information would be most useful, take the time to outline your content. This will help you keep your writing focused and avoid losing your readers through superfluous tangents. Consider using questions as headers where you can, to enforce the idea that you are providing answers. 

What have you found most impactful when tackling SEO copywriting? Share your favorite tips in the comments below!

1) Use headings to help google understand and prioritize your content and to help improve usability for website visitors. 

2) Don't create spammy copy for the sake of SEO. Also, don't get so caught up in clever copy that you miss out on SEO. Strive to create content that considers SEO and brand voice. 

3) Write as you naturally would. Yes, add headings and keywords, but do so in a way that it would happen organically. 

Edited by Tiny_Coast
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Confused about SEO? Here you go:
- is your site fast? 
- is your site easy to navigate? 
- does your site have valuable content? 
- do you have something for visitors to engage with on your website? 
- is it updated frequently? 
- is your site mentioned on other sites? 

Go rank.

SEO does not need to be overwhelming or frustrating or even technical. Try not to get trapped in the algorithms and updates etc., I go over how to rank first page of Google without any SEO experience here: https://yolevski.com/products/seo-ebook

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tip that can be very helpful in determining what your audience is looking for is to also use Google Auto Complete. It will give you a sense of the keywords people are using and the problems they are trying to solve. This can be extremely helpful in how you structure your content, the headings, and keywords you use. 

Consider how you can provide valuable content in the form of how-to guides. Make your content user friendly. For example, break down huge chunks of copy with headings, breakdown content into chapters or sections if necessary, and use anchor links so people can easily access the information most valuable to them. 

Also be mindful of internal linking, and using external links that are of a high quality and recent. 

As always, make sure not to be spammy with keywords, and write as you would naturally. 

Edited by Tiny_Coast

The first thing I do with clients regarding SEO (especially local serving small businesses) is to set up and/or claim their Google Business profile. Then include that on their site in some way. (my favorite review plugin is elfsight). 

That helps tremendously. I also consider anything that helps raise the site's authority and EAT as SEO. 

As far as just raw copy, here are my go-to list of things I always do with an initial pass. 

• Use correct headings
    • only one H1 per page
    • proper H2, H3, etc. 
  • Contextual hyperlinks
    • outside links that add value in context
    • using natural words as the link anchor (not "click here")
    • contextual internal links to relevant content that adds value (can be to other topic pages in the cluster, funnel, etc.)
  • Real words and natural copy. Try to to be too spammy with keywords. 
    • definitely do use appropriate keywords long and short
    • take advantage that punctuation (full stops, commas, colons, etc.) do not influence keywords and keyword phrases
  • Make the content on the page readable, especially on mobile
    • new paragraph breaks every two sentences or so
  • Add alt text to all images
    • don't stuff them with keywords or short-hand
    • understand that this text will be read by a computer generated reader into audio
  • Take advantage of Squarespace's great GUI for SEO
    • Review all those settings boxes and fill out excerpts, thumbnails, social sharing images, alt text, meta descriptions, nav titles, page titles, etc.
  • Always update old content
    • keep urls intact
    • refresh old content with new information
  • H2's are good opportunities for driving incoming traffic
    • If a page's topic, subject, and H1 are inspired by a search query, scroll down to the bottom of the google results to see the "others searched these topics" links and use those as your H2s. 
    • Make sure the H2's still make sense for the content on page
  • Reference and link to known outside SME sources when relevant
  • Use some third-party tools to eliminate poor quality backlinks
  • When there's a good quality backlink, make a new post/page about it!
  • Take advantage of third-party writing tools for copyediting
    • My favorites are
      • Grammarly
      • Hemmingway App Editor
      • AMI Headline Analyzer
      • Reading the copy out loud to see if you stumble anywhere
  • Pay attention to technical stuff search engines care about when ranking your content
    • Font size too small for mobile
    • Page images, banners, backgrounds, content too wide for window
    • And other stuff that Google specifically calls out in performance guidelines from Search Console

I'm certain others have mentioned a bunch of the stuff I did, but I included it anyway because re-reading it helps me remember 😉

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're asking for copywriting tips specifically, I'll stick to content SEO only

1. Proper keyword research
  2. High quality content. Research and study the top 10 results for your search query to find out what they are doing to get into the top 10.
  3. Fit your targeted keywords naturally and not like spam. First and foremost, you write to provide knowledge to the readers; not search engines.
16 minutes ago, HunterD said:

I was wondering, how did you achieve that gradient text effect? It kinda moves, right? I was researching about it, found some but didn't really like what I found. Thanks!

@HunterD I used a very helpful tool from @Spark_plugin  😊 Their product has lots of other great features too - well worth checking out! 

9 minutes ago, Tiny_Coast said:

@HunterD I used a very helpful tool from @Spark_plugin  😊 Their product has lots of other great features too - well worth checking out! 

Thanks Brittany😃 Maybe time to become a Spark affiliate hehe, since you recommend Spark Plugin so often.

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

• 3 weeks later...

The following are the 5 SEO copywriting tips.

1. Choose A Realistic Keyword Goal
2. Analyze The Top-Ranking Content 
3. Understand And Write For Search Intent
4. Outline Your Structure
5. Prioritize quality content

Connect with me to know more about SEO & Digital Marketing

Hi there,

my advices for this topic are:

1. Use your focus Key Word the Mega Title, Mega Description and the title

2. Use trust links!

3. Use a specific number of words (I can't tell you ´number now, because it depends on the theme of your SEO text)

best regards,

Jürgen

My advice:

- Hire an SEO copywriter if you can 

- Set up a blog strategy with posts that relate to your keywords or topics that you are asked about and make sure you research your title, questions or top tips works well. 

- split your services to multiple pages if you can 

- dedicated meta tags for each page 

- publish an articles on a website with authority in your field

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some quick points to look in:

• Find the right keywords
  • Find questions people ask
  • Identify and map search intent
  • Check competitors’ articles for your target keywords
  • Gather original data
  • Optimize your header, meta title, and meta description