Temporarily disabling sales on my store

Site URL: https://www.hamiltonroberts.com/on-hand-gallery/

I will be out of town for a week and unable to take sales and ship. Is there a way to temporarily disable sales on my store?

Ideally I'd like visitors to see our work but not order.

Build a new page (explanation about the shop being off-line) and substitute it for the gallery but keeping the same URL?
Redirect  Product Page to explanation page? I'm a woodworker, not a web guy.

Squarespace 7.0 Montauk

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.

SS does have a redirect function (URL Mapping) but that won't work in this case. It is meant to redirect pages that don't exist on your site to pages that do.

You could build an explanation page and then change the URL slugs so that the explanation page has the URL of your store. You'd then change the URL Slug for your store temporarily and also probably put it in the NOT LINKED section.

I think I like your idea of keeping everything where it is so that potential customers can at least see your offerings.

So the question is what can we do to keep folks from ordering while you're away and preserve as much as possible the selling aspect.

We could do something like the following.

842635663_ScreenShot2021-05-23at7_02_17PM.png.c7e1a752503a82ff558674f987d3de7c.png

The purchase button is disabled and kind of looks like it's disabled. Although an outsider wouldn't know what the regular button looks like. Then there is the explanation to elucidate what is going on.

If you want to give this a go add the following to Store Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the store page.

<style>

.sqs-add-to-cart-button-wrapper {

pointer-events : none;

}

.sqs-add-to-cart-button {

opacity : 0.25;

}

.sqs-add-to-cart-button-wrapper::before {

content : '[enter explanation here between single quotes]';
    font-weight : bold;
    font-style : italic;
    display : block;
    margin-bottom : 1rem;

}

</style>

There are other ways we might go about this but this is a starting point.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I'm simplifying - visitors can purchase items but the content is a large red warning that we cannot ship immediately.

<style>

.sqs-add-to-cart-button-wrapper::before {

content : 'NOTICE! YOU MAY PURCHASE NOW BUT WE CANNOT SHIP UNTIL OCTOBER 14th!';
     font-weight : 800;
      color:#ff0000;
     font-style : italic;
     display : block;
     margin-bottom : 1rem;

}

</style>

Thank you for your help - it's been decades since I worked with any kind of code even though I made some very nice websites back in the day. I'm glad to be able to add text. I would love to have a text box on the shop page below the menus.

screenshot-red.jpg

I would love to have a text box on the shop page below the menus.

There are two ways you could go about this. One is to use CSS to add a simple text block kind of like you did with :before and content.

The other is to use Javascript to add a more complex description. Please see the following for one way to do it.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, smichaelh said:

I'm simplifying - visitors can purchase items but the content is a large red warning that we cannot ship immediately.

[...]

screenshot-red.jpg

@smichaelh, how did your customers react to this? I can see the value for both customer and seller with this approach.

@smichaelh or @creedon, is the money charged to the customer's account immediately upon purchase - I'm thinking it is? I.e., I'm wondering if there will be, say, a 3 week delay, if the customer would be paying up to a month before actual shipment, which might be disagreeable.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:07 PM, creedon said:

The purchase button is disabled and kind of looks like it's disabled. Although an outsider wouldn't know what the regular button looks like. Then there is the explanation to elucidate what is going on.

If you want to give this a go add the following to Store Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the store page.

@creedon, would I put the above code before or after these 3 sections?

• store product details natural order desktop
  • store product details display flex desktop
  • store product details reorder desktop
9 hours ago, Slyoung said:

is the money charged to the customer's account immediately upon purchase - I'm thinking it is?

Yes. The only kind of delay that SS supports is pay in x payments. But those plans also charge the first payment at checkout.

9 hours ago, Slyoung said:

would I put the above code before or after these 3 sections?

I believe the order doesn't matter as it doesn't have anything to do with the order of the detail elements. It's just changing how the atc looks.

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, MBSai said:

I am trying to put the code like you showing but unfortunately it does not work on my site.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.