Jump to content

Adding Subscription Option as a Product Variant

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Recommended Posts

  • Solution

It depends what you mean by pay in installments.

If you are using AfterPay to allow customers to pay in installments, this option will appear at checkout, giving customers the option to pay in full or use AfterPay (subject to their approval).

If you are referring to Subscription Products, these are managed separately on Squarespace and don't even use the same checkout. If a Subscription Product is added to the cart, the customer will be forced to checkout with this separately. For this reason, Subscription Products must be separate. It isn't possible to add a subscription variant to a Physical or Service Product.

However, if you have a Subscription Product and a separate Physical/Service Product, you could use some custom code to display the subscription option as a button beside the standard add to cart button, so that customers see 'One Time Purchase' and 'Subscribe and Save' options together.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Link to comment

Site URL: http://drinkdroplet.com

Squarespace— 

We just need a native function that allows customers to choose either a one-time purchase or a subscription on the same product page. Currently, we have to list subscriptions and one-time purchases separately, and any marketer can tell you that this leads to less conversions. 

This needs to be incorporated into your next updates for the commerce site. Those of us who subscribe to and develop for sites on your Advanced Commerce plans are paying extra to be able to use subscriptions and this function alone shows that Squarespace Commerce is not truly optimized for sales. 

Here is a list of all the times people have asked for this particular function: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=squarespace+subscription+or+one+time+purchase+site:forum.squarespace.com&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji3efTsbbwAhXYFzQIHf_6ARIQrQIoBHoECAUQBQ&biw=1680&bih=916

When is this feature going to be added? 

Link to comment
  • 5 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, paul2009 said:

It depends what you mean by pay in installments.

If you are using AfterPay to allow customers to pay in installments, this option will appear at checkout, giving customers the option to pay in full or use AfterPay (subject to their approval).

If you are referring to Subscription Products, these are managed separately on Squarespace and don't even use the same checkout. If a Subscription Product is added to the cart, the customer will be forced to checkout with this separately. For this reason, Subscription Products must be separate. It isn't possible to add a subscription variant to a Physical or Service Product.

However, if you have a Subscription Product and a separate Physical/Service Product, you could use some custom code to display the subscription option as a button beside the standard add to cart button, so that customers see 'One Time Purchase' and 'Subscribe and Save' options together.

Hey there!

I'm looking to add a button option for the subscription product inside my normal product, just as you described. Do you happen to know what's the code for that?

Link to comment
On 10/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, Eazed said:

I'm looking to add a button option for the subscription product inside my normal product

This isn't possible using built in features. However, there's a paid plugin available that will show them on the same page. You can see a demo here. However, you need to be aware that Squarespace will always use a separate checkout page for a subscription purchase. It is not possible for a customer to purchase a subscription and a one-off product, or to purchase two subscriptions, in the same transaction.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Link to comment
  • 7 months later...

We offer a physical product for sale and also a subscription support for the usage of the product as an add on charge if the customer would like it. Is there a way to embed the option to add the subscription with the physical product? What is happening now is it has to be completed as two separate transactions and that will definitely impede our sales. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, intentionalplan said:

Is there a way to embed the option to add the subscription with the physical product?

No, this is not currently possible. 

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Link to comment
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 6:22 PM, celestewellfed said:

Site URL: http://drinkdroplet.com

Squarespace— 

We just need a native function that allows customers to choose either a one-time purchase or a subscription on the same product page. Currently, we have to list subscriptions and one-time purchases separately, and any marketer can tell you that this leads to less conversions. 

This needs to be incorporated into your next updates for the commerce site. Those of us who subscribe to and develop for sites on your Advanced Commerce plans are paying extra to be able to use subscriptions and this function alone shows that Squarespace Commerce is not truly optimized for sales. 

Here is a list of all the times people have asked for this particular function: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=squarespace+subscription+or+one+time+purchase+site:forum.squarespace.com&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji3efTsbbwAhXYFzQIHf_6ARIQrQIoBHoECAUQBQ&biw=1680&bih=916

When is this feature going to be added? 

Has this ever become possible? Cannot find a solution.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.