Is the fold still a thing?

‘Above the fold’ traditionally refers to print media, specifically the upper half of the front page of a newspaper. There is some debate amongst web designers as to whether the concept of ‘the fold’ applies to digital content. 

Some believe that given device context, such as viewing a website on a mobile device, scrolling is an agreed upon action. As long as it looks like there is a reason to keep scrolling, visitors will continue to do so. 

Others believe that even if the exact location of the fold changes between devices, it still very much exists. Visitors will only continue to scroll if the content above the fold is promising enough to encourage them to do so. Clear indicators of the content to come, like anchor links or engaging imagery, will let your visitors know they have arrived at the right page and encourage them to keep scrolling.

Do you think of the fold when designing your website? Has it affected how you structure your content? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

For me personally I always try to capture what exactly myself or the client is offering above the fold. Perhaps if you are a massive brand or very recognized with signature creative, this is less of an issue for you. 

If you plan on using tools like Google Ads to drive traffic,  you may want to emphasize communicating your service or product above the fold.  You don't want to leave potential clients confused about what you do or offer, and waste ad spend. 

A  brand with recognizable creative, however, may have the advantage of someone already knowing what they offer and find themselves less concerned with confusing potential customers.

• 3 months later...