Changing lowest product quantity from 1 to 0.5

Quantities can only be entered in whole numbers. It isn’t possible to change this. However, you can change your product description to indicate that it is sold by the half-metre, so that quantity ‘2’ is actually one metre.

If this is confusing, some code could be written to show the number of metres selected, just below the quantity selector.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

@paul2009  How difficult would it be to generate code to display yards/metres selected given a multiplication factor of x2? I have the same issue for a client with a fabric shop. 

We have launched and so far no issues with customers understanding. I created custom labels based on "tags" to display for various things on product pages and thumbnails including "quantity in 1/2 yards" for "yards" tag and "quantity in bundles" for "bundle" tag and pre-order for a display label on the product thumbnail...

Displaying a dynamic calculation of yards selected would be really icing on the cake.

https://www.dogwoodtrailquiltco.com/fabric/romance-novel-paper-back

4 hours ago, Ten17 said:

How difficult would it be to generate code to display yards/metres selected given a multiplication factor of x2?

Something like this?

image.gif.21f6413a211e89a05478dbf996ee76d4.gif

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

image.gif.a51c21ea4979f50b4136a94a7e1043c9.gif

I have posted details of the proposed solution in this guide: Selling in fractions of a unit on Squarespace.

In summary, it replaces the Add to Cart label with a label that shows the number of yards being purchased - where 'Qty:1' is '0.5 yards'. 

I was looking at better ways of with fractional units (see below) but I haven't had time to work this through, hence finally posting details of the original idea above 🙂

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
added URL

• 4 months later...
39 minutes ago, Wenninger said:

Is there way to only target products that have "yardage" or something similar for this to take effect?

Yes, tag those products and then amend the code accordingly. The exact solution will depend on the template/version/tag used. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, paul2009 said:

Hey! @paul2009hope you are well 🙂 I am in the process of creating an online fabric store and have been trying to get the quantity box looking exactly like the one you have created. I am not a pro on squarespace as i am just starting up, but was wondering if it would be possible to share the Custom CCS please! Much appreciated if you can! Thank you 

image.thumb.gif.b0eae2901f1f83a68874d8520c68f08c.gif

On 2/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, AmberM said:

I was wondering if it would be possible to share the Custom CSS please!

You'll find the code (it is JavaScript, not CSS) in my earlier post.

Edited by paul2009

• 3 months later...

Hello @paul2009 thank you so much for sharing this code injection! However, I sell more than just yardage on my website, and other items like bundles or sewing notions need to be sold normally without the "0.5 Yards to Cart" edit. So while I would love to use your code, I only want it to affect certain products in my shop. You said in a previous post that to do so you can tag those posts and amend the code accordingly, but I'm not sure how to do that and would appreciate your help. Thanks! 🙂

13 hours ago, Aneedleandthread said:

I only want it to affect certain products in my shop. You said in a previous post that to do so you can tag those posts and amend the code accordingly

I've added an example to the guide for you. It shows how to do this on Squarespace 7.1.

If you're using a different version/template, please provide a link to a product that is sold by length and has been tagged as explained in the guide 🙂.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

• 3 weeks later...

I sell fabric by the meter and want customers to be able to order fabric by the half meter too, but it seems that when adding a quantity as a decimal such as 1.5 (1.5meters), a message appears saying that quantities must be added as whole numbers.

Is there a way around this?