set a maximum number of options for a product

I want to set the maximum number of add-ons for a given product from a list of options.  Here is an example of what I mean:  I have a product that is 1 box of cookies (20) that you can order.  I have a list of flavors (11) for those cookies that you can choose from but I only want to allow the customer the ability to choose only 4 flavors.  If the customer tries to choose a 5th flavor for that one box of cookies, it won't be allowed.  Is this possible?

9 hours ago, cnickles said:

I have a list of flavors (11) for those cookies that you can choose from but I only want to allow the customer the ability to choose only 4 flavors. 

Add four variants to the product, one for each choice. In each, add the available flavors. For more information, see Adding complex product variants.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

A problem I'm running into is too many variations.  Listing 11 flavors for each of the 4 options ( 1 flavor...4 flavors) runs into a limit.

The customer can order 1 box filled with 20 cookies
There are 11 flavors to choose from but the customer should be limited to selecting a maximum of 4 flavors (1 flavor per 5 cookies)
If they try to choose a 5th option, they should be told that they have made their maximum number of choices (or words/actions to that effect)

On 5/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, cnickles said:

I've considered using a custom form (with checkboxes for each flavor) but it doesn't look like I can limit the selected choices to 4.

I am running into a similar problem.

I have options to add on additional stuff to my cakes which bumps up the price, but the product variants is making it really difficult.

In your situation, what I would do is create 4 different drop down boxes with all 4 drop downs having the 11 different flavours and naming each drop down "Select flavour 1,2,3,4"

On 5/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, cnickles said:

A problem I'm running into is too many variations.  Listing 11 flavors for each of the 4 options ( 1 flavor...4 flavors) runs into a limit.

This will be a problem if you need 4 variant dropdowns each with 11 flavours. That will exceed the variant limit on Squarespace.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:22 AM, cnickles said:

I've considered using a custom form (with checkboxes for each flavor)

You can use a Custom Product Form with 4 dropdowns. Each dropdown can be for one of the four flavor selections. You can add the 11 flavors to each of the dropdowns.

There are two disadvantages of using Custom Product Forms that you may want to be aware of:

• Firstly, it won't be obvious to customers that flavor selections are made after they've clicked 'Add to Cart'. This can affect conversions if you do not make this clear.
  • Unlike variants, form selections won't influence the price. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.