Developer Mode - Learning Resources?

Go to solution Solved by Alexander_SQSP,

I'd like to be able to offer template customization, but I can't find a good place to learn!

How did you learn to work with developer mode, what tools do you use, and where would you suggest I go to learn how to make a template from scratch?

Thank you!

More details: 

I'm familiar with HTML/CSS/JS but JSON-T, .region, and the other configuration files are new to me. I've been working with VSCode trying to make changes to a trial-version developer-mode site, but after a number of hours I've only been able to follow the super basic tutorial and add some static text to the main page with git push.

I'd like to learn how to work with .region files and how to use different .region files on different pages. With that information, I hope I can build a fully-custom website with Squarespace's CMS on top.

I've googled it in different ways, but the results are always flooded with Squarespace's WYSIWYG editor tutorials and the few resources that match my search terms are expensive courses that, I assume, don't have detailed instructions I'm looking for.

• Solution

Hi @CodyS,

Thanks for posting your question!

.region files define the layout of your site. If you need more flexibility, you can create multiple .region files so that you can have various layouts for your site. After creating these files and referencing them in the template.conf file, you can change a layout directly on the Squarespace editor, in the Advanced panel of a page. You can read more about layout and regions on our official guide here.

If you have additional questions, feel free to leave a comment!

Image 2021-05-05 at 10.09.18 AM.png

Build together: Together, we make up a community of Squarespace professionals. Lean on your fellow community members for support and welcome diverse perspectives. 
Work in progress: Trust that we are all working for the collective good of Circle members and their clients. 
Keep it light mode: Balance productivity with joyful creativity and curiosity.