How do you use color in your website?

Colors can be used throughout your website to tell the story of your brand. They are a key part of the experience the customer has with you, as colors are often what a customer remembers most. Colors are also an opportunity to direct your visitor’s eye towards important buttons or calls to action (CTAs).

While it’s tempting to stick to your brand colors throughout your website, we find that choosing a different color for these buttons and CTAs helps them stand out. Think of your brand colors as your ‘passive’ ones and choose an ‘action’ color for all of your links and buttons. 

What are your color preferences for your website? Do you like the contrast of ‘action’ colors or prefer to keep it all within your brand color palette? Tell us about how you use color in the comments below.

I agree with you @Jo_SQSP, using a color that stand out is the best way to go most of the time.

I've done quite a few reviews on peoples websites here on the forum, and one thing that I see many websites do wrong is not using colors that resonates with what they want to communicate.

For example:

• I want to be personal - use a warm/soft color like low-saturated beige or brown
  • I want to show authority - use blue or black
  • I want to stick out - use a distinct color like yellow or pink

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

Colour is a great way to communicate an overall feeling. As @Spark_plugin mentioned, colour can be used to convey different brand attributes - like being personable, demonstrating authority, or being quirky and so on. 

When I design websites for clients I think about their brand, services, or product, and the way they want to be perceived by potential customers.. From there, I have a good feeling of their overall vibe and the colours that would work best for them. 

With colour, I also think it's important to make sure the imagery you use also works well with the colour palette. And even beyond the colour palette, does the imagery you use effectively communicate the overall feeling you are going for.