first website / small business - would appreciate opinions!

Site URL: https://www.cobbledstreetshop.co.uk

Hello, 

I've created my first ever website and taken the plunge to create a small business. I've contacted Squarespace to see if it's possible to change the shop bar to improve navigation, and i'm looking to see if I can help with SEOs. However, I feel like my website is missing something - or I'm being too critical - and would appreciate any feedback (good and bad) to help me decide. 

Thanks for reading, 

Ellie 

Nice website Ellie! You managed to design a well-looking website. Very cool items you sell😊

You feel something is missing - maybe that thing might be this: Show more of your items on your first page. Like the most popular ones. Then add a "Show more" button, so that you use those few items to make the customers want to look for more.

Another thing that would improve is to not have full with on the first page. The websites look great on a laptop, but on my large monitor the images gets too big because of the full width.

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

Put a delay on the pop-up--I don't know if I want the discount yet because I don't even know if I connect with your brand yet.

Create a favicon.

The double announcement bar seems heavy handed.

Logo title too big, nav options too small. Also, a custom logo would be nice.

Psychology says use positive language: "don't forget..."--make it "remember, shipping is free"

Look up what an orphan is for paragraph design--avoid having orphan words in your design. 

Your above the fold impression is very wordy--no pictures or initial feelings, nothing to make you stand out or make me want to scroll.

I would do away with the "Explore" words floating over your sections

add privacy policy in footer and shipping info or FAQ as resources 

"Your bestsellers"--I'd just say "Bestsellers"

On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 AM, monocle.jasmin said:

Put a delay on the pop-up--I don't know if I want the discount yet because I don't even know if I connect with your brand yet.

Create a favicon.

The double announcement bar seems heavy handed.

Logo title too big, nav options too small. Also, a custom logo would be nice.

Psychology says use positive language: "don't forget..."--make it "remember, shipping is free"

Look up what an orphan is for paragraph design--avoid having orphan words in your design. 

Your above the fold impression is very wordy--no pictures or initial feelings, nothing to make you stand out or make me want to scroll.

I would do away with the "Explore" words floating over your sections

add privacy policy in footer and shipping info or FAQ as resources 

"Your bestsellers"--I'd just say "Bestsellers"

@monocle.jasmin - thanks for your advice and opinion. Totally understand where you are coming from and have updated my site based on this. Who / what would you advise as a good 'above the fold' example to be? and where did you discover the orphan words so I can correct them please? Was it throughout or with products, etc?

Also, I just had a look @ your website (based on your post). I viewed it via my computer and you might find the advice I was given earlier,"on my large monitor the images gets too big because of the full width", useful - up to you. I imagine it looks great on a mobile but could be too much on laptop/computer uses.