Adding Reading Time to Blog posts

• 4 months later...

Site URL: https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/

Hi. I am trying to add "reading time" to my blog posts (under articles and videos)

Here are 2 examples of the posts - 

https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/articles-videos-grief-afterlife/when-the-bully-wins

https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/articles-videos-grief-afterlife/the-five-stages-of-grief-and-why-they-are-wrong

---

I am following instructions (that seemed really simple) from here but even after following them the reading time never showed up: 

https://www.maryphilip.com/the-blog/how-to-add-a-reading-time-to-your-squarespace-blog

Any insights appreciated!! Thank you.

---

I did both of these:

1st: 

To add to all blogs, go to the Blog’s Page Settings, click Post Blog Item Code Injection and add the following:

Copy Code
<div class="reading-time"></div>

2nd:  I tried to add to an individual post when it didnt work on all of them and this didnt work either

1. Add a empty placeholder for content to go: Add a code block where you want it to go, delete the dummy content and paste in the following:

To add it to each blog manually add the following to a code block to each blog:

Copy Code
15 minutes ago, LizLiz6 said:

I am following instructions (that seemed really simple) from here but even after following them the reading time never showed up: 

You don't appear to have followed the remaining steps in the article, or you have since removed the code.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

37 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

You don't appear to have followed the remaining steps in the article, or you have since removed the code.

Hi Paul. Thanks for replying. I didnt' remove the code. I can't figure out what steps I didn't follow. Any insights?! Thank you!!

I did this - when I tried to add it to all blog posts (I checked for the obvious - that I didn't save etc)

1- post blog item code injection

1057882369_ScreenShot2021-04-25at4_32_33PM.thumb.png.0b5ea86b3651ac62e99205a1bc361410.png

1170634254_ScreenShot2021-04-25at4_33_33PM.thumb.png.f8e046e9bbe6c0ec60c4006ab5f3405f.png

When I tried to add to an individual. 

1210052603_ScreenShot2021-04-25at4_34_23PM.thumb.png.7cd18ee243afeb2c4a7ca767391b98e2.png

1483621837_ScreenShot2021-04-25at4_34_33PM.thumb.png.593ae631b09578c27f9db4c4a1c0c8e9.png

• 5 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, LizLiz6 said:

Site URL: https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/

Hi. I am trying to add "reading time" to my blog posts (under articles and videos)

Here are 2 examples of the posts - 

https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/articles-videos-grief-afterlife/when-the-bully-wins

https://www.wtfjusthappened.net/articles-videos-grief-afterlife/the-five-stages-of-grief-and-why-they-are-wrong

---

https://www.maryphilip.com/the-blog/how-to-add-a-reading-time-to-your-squarespace-blog

Any insights appreciated!! Thank you.

---

I did both of these:

1st: 

To add to all blogs, go to the Blog’s Page Settings, click Post Blog Item Code Injection and add the following:

Copy Code

2nd:  I tried to add to an individual post when it didnt work on all of them and this didnt work either

1. Add a empty placeholder for content to go: Add a code block where you want it to go, delete the dummy content and paste in the following:

To add it to each blog manually add the following to a code block to each blog:

Copy Code

Not sure if you figured this out, but I just did it on my site. I think what Paul meant is that you only followed Step 1, which gives you multiple options depending on how you want the reading time to appear.

You still need to do the following for the text to actually display on your posts:

• Step 2 (Go to Settings > Advanced > Code Injection and paste the following into the Header...) 
  • Step 3 (Change the design to your liking. Go to Design, click Custom CSS...). This step has 2 options for you. 

I hope this helps!

• 11 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, paul2009 said:

I know this is old, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the reading time appear at the top of the blog post and in the preview? Thanks!

• 8 months later...

<script>
document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", function() {
    var blogPosts = document.querySelectorAll('.blog-item, .summary-excerpt');

blogPosts.forEach(function(post) {
        var words = post.innerText.split(' ').length;
        var readingTime = Math.ceil(words / 200); // Average reading speed is about 200 words per minute

var datelineLink = post.querySelector('.entry-dateline-link');
        var readingTimeElement = document.createElement('span');
        readingTimeElement.innerText = 'Estimated reading time: ' + readingTime + ' min';
        readingTimeElement.style.color = '#a59896'; // Set the color of the text
        readingTimeElement.style.display = 'block'; // Ensure the reading time appears on a new line
        datelineLink.parentNode.insertBefore(readingTimeElement, datelineLink.nextSibling);
    });
});

</script>

change .blog-item, .summary-excerpt to your ID's 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues modifying the codes above to add reading time to blog posts as part of the blog meta item.

1) I initially used the script Oleg provided but it did not work

2) I then went back to the script from another post and successfully put the reading time under the blog title (screenshot 1)

3) I then modified the JS script in Code Injection > Header to append to blog-meta-item instead of blog-item-title. The results are wonky (screenshots 2 and 3) and I was unable to fix it after multiple tries

I am unfamiliar with JS so would appreciate any help. Basically, I would like to add the reading time "x Min Read" under the date + author name of the blogpost with the same paragraph break / padding-bottom / spacing before the blog content (screenshot 1 - boxes in red)

Password: test_help

Thanks again!

P.S. For reference, the codes in Code Injection > Header

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.4.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script>
  $(function () {
    var txt = $("article")[0].textContent,
        wordCount = txt.replace( /[^\w ]/g, "" ).split( /\s+/ ).length;
    var readingTimeInMinutes = Math.floor(wordCount / 228) + 1;
    var readingTimeAsString = readingTimeInMinutes + " Min Read";
    $('article .reading-time').appendTo('article .blog-meta-item');
    $('article .reading-time').html(readingTimeAsString);
  });

</script>

Post Blog Item Code Injection

Design CSS

.reading-time {
  color: #C171A7;
  font-size: 13px;
  font-family: 'montserrat'
}

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.26.00.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.27.04.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.27.17.png

On 7/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, ACHK said:

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues modifying the codes above to add reading time to blog posts as part of the blog meta item.

1) I initially used the script Oleg provided but it did not work

2) I then went back to the script from another post and successfully put the reading time under the blog title (screenshot 1)

3) I then modified the JS script in Code Injection > Header to append to blog-meta-item instead of blog-item-title. The results are wonky (screenshots 2 and 3) and I was unable to fix it after multiple tries

I am unfamiliar with JS so would appreciate any help. Basically, I would like to add the reading time "x Min Read" under the date + author name of the blogpost with the same paragraph break / padding-bottom / spacing before the blog content (screenshot 1 - boxes in red)

Password: test_help

Thanks again!

P.S. For reference, the codes in Code Injection > Header

Post Blog Item Code Injection

Design CSS

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.26.00.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.27.04.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 21.27.17.png

You can add this code under

<style>
  .blog-meta-item--author .reading-time {
    display: none !important;
}
</style>

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)