Support for footnotes in Markdown blocks

Site URL: https://www.nathancashion.com/bigfoot

I'm using Bigfoot.js to create inline footnotes that pop-up instead of link to the bottom of the page.

It's working great, the only problem is that the version of Markdown on Squarespace doesn't support the syntax for footnotes. The syntax is relatively simple and similar to links:

To create a footnote reference, add a caret and an identifier inside brackets ([^1]).

My current workflow is to write the post in Markdown using iA Writer. I then copy the document (or, at least, the section of the document with the footnote) as HTML and paste that into a code block on SquareSpace.

This obviously isn't ideal or efficient – if I want to add an image to the post on Squarespace, for instance, I have to separate the code blocks since image blocks cannot be inserted inside a code block and the code block will not simply split at a line break like a text or Markdown block will.

Is there any solution to enabling the footnote syntax within SquareSpace?

Edited by nathan
  • nathan changed the title to Support for footnotes in Markdown blocks
  • 1 year later...

Nathan,

I followed your blog article perfectly (at least I think I did): https://medium.com/@nathancashion/how-i-got-fancy-footnotes-working-on-squarespace-using-bigfoot-js-39363bad0c58#fn1-9603.

However, I still can't seem to get the bigfoot footnotes to work after I did everything. I bought the same tool you used that you referenced (iA writer) and copied the text in HTML and pasted in a code block on my blog page with no change. Please help!

What am I missing? I did every step.