About Us page: what's your strategy?

The “About Us” page can be an important part in turning a visitor into a customer. It’s your moment to tell them your story and emphasize why your product or service is the right choice for them!

For personal sites, we find that focusing on your personal statement, achievements and a way to get in touch is most helpful. For storefront businesses, sharing a brief "how we came to be" history, impactful testimonials, and your hours and location are best.

What is your strategy for your “About Us” page? Do you pack it with info or keep it minimal? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

I try to always think in terms of what would be useful for potential clients.
For smaller companies I imagine your point of difference is crucial as it may help them decide between you and the competition. Also if you have any values that are important to your customers or your process.

I work very closely with several other key suppliers of for content writing, digital marketing,  photography and video so I will present them as part of my network on the about page. That is a good point of difference for me as they are like staff but even better as they are dedicated professionals not just employees on the clock, they have skin in the game.

I think the about us section is an opportunity to provide information that a potential customer may find useful or helpful (such as your services and credentials) and it is an opportunity for clients to decide if you may be someone they would enjoy working with (are you approachable?, are you professional? etc).

For some companies, the back story for a brand really ties into the values and could help a potential customer better align with the company. In that scenario, i think it is important to tell that story.

When it comes to the about us section, I keep it somewhat minimal and approach it as if someone asked me about my business in person. I would want to provide useful information and come across as friendly and approachable. However, I would want to avoid going into a lengthy back story that isn't necessary relevant to them solving their problem. 

I think your thoughts are good @JoseP, this is pretty much what I try to do too. For personal sites, I try to focusing on personality and on businesses a "how we came to be" story is good.

What I can add to this is that images are very important. Good images greatly amplifies the message.

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

As a blogger my site has a title, author's name, "table" of contents. My about page is the back page of my website like the back page of a book  jacket cover. It gives my viewers more personal information about me. Knowing me might compel them to read more of my stories. 

I think the about pages I have built for others do the same thing, they add to the story the site is telling, with words images or both. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 4 weeks later...

When we created our About Us page, we wanted to make it minimalistic while still telling the public who we are. The one thing that was agreed upon in this is our values and story behind them because through these things, people feel like they can connect with us more personally. We want others to know what it's been like for us going through the same struggles too so that way they understand where their clothes come from at all times

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, Brent_Dickens said:

For smaller companies I imagine your point of difference is crucial as it may help them decide between you and the competition. Also if you have any values that are important to your customers or your process.

I work very closely with several other key suppliers of for content writing, digital marketing,  photography and video so I will present them as part of my network on the about page. That is a good point of difference for me as they are like staff but even better as they are dedicated professionals not just employees on the clock, they have skin in the game.

@Brent_Dickens, I totally agree. I follow the very wise Donald Miller, Business Made Simple, and he stresses that your About page should not be about you and your accomplishments, but what you do/offer your target audience and how you help them.

• 10 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 1:32 AM, Brent_Dickens said:

Yes!! Many companies turn the "About us" into a boring history lesson or a time line. Avoid that. Make history about how this would benefit todays customer.