Endless bugs with 7.1

I'm a big fan of squarespace. BIG. I've been here for years and I have heaps of sites and heaps of my clients using it.

However. I'm moving a huge site over from 7.0 to 7.1 specifically to use the Members area. So I'm rebuilding the site. It's SO not fun but it's a good chance to reorder stuff.

But the bugs in 7.1 are KILLING ME. I can't go longer than a couple minutes without a save bug and I lose everything, or a 'network error' bug or a spinning for ages and we all just sit and wait and then I reload and lose everything bug.

I've made all the requested changes to my browser, incognito, clear cache, blah blah. I am using Chrome and only have that and photoshop open. Made no difference.

I've made a video to show you how bad it is and so you don't think I'm crazy.

So what I want to know is, am I alone??? Is this temporary? I've been working like this for weeks, sometimes I get an ok half hour but mostly it's this. I'm desperate and want to keep using Squarespace. I'm just lost as to what to do. 

Yes I've contacted support. Nothing yet other than the standard stuff from the help area that they just copy and paste in.

Love your thoughts!

Hi @kateatkins

I share your feelings about the quality issues with 7.1. In fact I have concerns about quality control on Squarespace generally after the last three months, where every new update comes with a selection of free bugs. 

That said - and I appreciate this is probably not much help! - I haven't seen the specific issues that you have captured in your video, although it does capture them nicely for Customer Care. I hope you insist that they escalate this further, for the benefit of everyone.

If it helps, I do find the 7.1 UI to be very slow and non-reactive, and that's more of an issue on a slower connection than on a fast one with low latency. I have a fairly fast connection (900Mbps) but it's still worse than 7.0. When I'm working in 7.1, I feel more like a robot and less like a designer because I've noticed that I've started to do a step then wait to see if it completes. Do another step and wait. It reminds me of early "word-processors" where a touch typist could type more quickly than the words would appear on the screen. You almost have to wait for 7.1 to catch up with the instructions you've sent it. It's far from ideal a 

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

P

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

16 minutes ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Is there a particular reason for using the members area in 7.1 when 7.0 has that also?

Good question.

I don’t know about Kate, but I wouldn’t use Member Areas on Squarespace 7.0 because the user experience is poor. On 7.1, when a member is logged in they can see the Member Navigation in place of the Main Navigation of public pages. This isn’t possible on 7.0 without lots of coding. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

22 minutes ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Is there a particular reason for using the members area in 7.1 when 7.0 has that also?

7.1 offers a specific navigation type that 7.0 does not offer (https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050832671-Customizing-the-Member-Areas-experience#toc-customize-member-navigation). However, 7.0 offers a number of things 7.1 does not, like gallery blocks (can't believe I can't add a photo gallery to a regular section), having more flexible header options (hello brine pre-header), and 7.1 does have some bugs (for example today I accidentally deleted something so I hit discard changes and it did not discard changes).

I find it off-putting to have to pay the same price for Member Areas in 7.0 when I don't get the same features I would in 7.1 (and not having logged-in member navigation is a bit of a deal-breaker). I find it even more off-putting that I'd have to recreate my client's site in 7.1 just to get this feature. 

It's getting harder to recommend Squarespace to clients with issues like this that force paying customers into a huge amount of extra effort, time and cost (for what's a pretty half-baked MVP anyway) rather than have Squarespace develop a proper migration plan for customers to get the most from their platform.

Edited by pixelsandpuzzles

Same. Lots of bugs and no fixing or accountability. I have stopped recommending Squarespace to anyone for the last year or so. I fact I advice them to get something else....

When you try to approach support about the issues and bugs you just get told off with some standard answer and absolutely nothing actually happens.

It's been well over a year of me filing my first bug complaint and that same issue is still there. Since then I have been running into several more and just yesterday I ran into yet another annoying bug when I had to help someone with their site.

Maybe it's time for me to find an alternative and migrate...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 8:43 AM, Reuss said:

Lots of bugs and no fixing or accountability.

Hi @Reuss

If you find genuine bugs with 7.1 (as opposed to missing features) please post details of them and I'll help to increase visibility of them with Sqs. It will help if you can include screenshots and details of how to replicate the issue. 

• 2 years later...

Absolutely agree! Squarespace is a mess. Struggling with codes and functionalities and no support just blabla....the same with weglot. When you edit something it looks nice when you preview it looks totally different. The User Interface is a mess and you spent a lot of time to find and understand the modules. No answers on some questions here. For Example the video and slider modules are a totally mess.....how would someone want this? And it"s a lot of coding to get a special look. Also the features in 7.0 are reduced now. Where is the support when you need it......the only helpful Source is Inside the Square