Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

How to offer free eBook download in exchange for email?

Site URL: https://www.thepivotquest.com/

Hi. How do I add a block to my 1-page website that offers a free eBook download in exchange for the visitor's email? I prefer a block rather than a popup. Can I upload my eBook to Squarespace so that the download link appears automatically, or must I use a third-party email service for that? Thanks!

Hey @larrykay

You could use a Newsletter Block for what you're trying to achieve and then just customize the post-submit message so it has a link to a page where you have uploaded your ebook as a link. You might want to keep that page in the Not Linked section of the Pages panel so it doesn't display on your site's navigation and protected with a password so it could be private. You'd need to include the page password in the Newsletter Block post-submit message as well. 

A more sophisticated way to go about that, would be using Email Campaigns (requires a separate subscription) and then setup an automation, so an email containing a link to your eBook is automatically send to the subscriber once he added their email address to the list. You would still use a Newsletter Block to collect your subscriber's email addresses and then just connect that block to Email Campaigns.  

21 hours ago, larrykay said:

How do I add a block to my 1-page website that offers a free eBook download in exchange for the visitor's email?

In addition to using Squarespace Campaigns (as suggested above) you could also use Mailchimp or Zapier to automate this. Squarespace Campaigns is far easier to manage but the other services have free plans. 

53 minutes ago, Susana_SQSP said:

You could use a Newsletter Block for what you're trying to achieve and then just customize the post-submit message so it has a link to a page where you have uploaded your ebook as a link.

I don't recommend using the post submit suggestion if you want to avoid fake and spam email addresses. This method will provide the user will a link to the PDF without validating their email address, whereas the other options will require a valid email address because if the user provides a fake one they'll never be emailed with the PDF. 🙂

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.