MAKE USERS SIGN UP WITH EMAIL TO DOWNLOAD PDF

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 10 months later...

Hello, 
Hoping I found the right crowd.
I am offering a PDF download as a free gift for signing up to our newsletter. 

I have all the emails automated but I can't 
-link the download to the automated email 

-get the the link to auto download vs. open in a new page 

Is there a way around these? 

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

Hey @larrykay, 

You could use a Newsletter Block for what you're trying to achieve and then just customize the post-submit message so it has a link to a page where you have uploaded your ebook as a link. You might want to keep that page in the Not Linked section of the Pages panel so it doesn't display on your site's navigation and protected with a password so it could be private. You'd need to include the page password in the Newsletter Block post-submit message as well. 

A more sophisticated way to go about that, would be using Email Campaigns (requires a separate subscription) and then setup an automation, so an email containing a link to your eBook is automatically send to the subscriber once he added their email address to the list. You would still use a Newsletter Block to collect your subscriber's email addresses and then just connect that block to Email Campaigns.  

• Solution
21 hours ago, larrykay said:

How do I add a block to my 1-page website that offers a free eBook download in exchange for the visitor's email?

In addition to using Squarespace Campaigns (as suggested above) you could also use Mailchimp or Zapier to automate this. Squarespace Campaigns is far easier to manage but the other services have free plans. 

53 minutes ago, Susana_SQSP said:

You could use a Newsletter Block for what you're trying to achieve and then just customize the post-submit message so it has a link to a page where you have uploaded your ebook as a link.

I don't recommend using the post submit suggestion if you want to avoid fake and spam email addresses. This method will provide the user will a link to the PDF without validating their email address, whereas the other options will require a valid email address because if the user provides a fake one they'll never be emailed with the PDF. 🙂

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, Susana_SQSP said:

A more sophisticated way to go about that, would be using Email Campaigns (requires a separate subscription) and then setup an automation, so an email containing a link to your eBook is automatically send to the subscriber once he added their email address to the list. You would still use a Newsletter Block to collect your subscriber's email addresses and then just connect that block to Email Campaigns.  

Hello!

Where will I find the option to add a link to my Ebook after subscription? It's important that it should be after the subscription i s confirmed. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, fufu15 said:

Where will I find the option to add a link to my Ebook after subscription?

If you are using Campaigns, the article linked above about automation explains how to send an email triggered by subscribers signing up for the mailing list.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, gerick said:

Any luck on this?

Did you try the suggestions offered earlier in this thread?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@NatashaLYBF - I wouldn't recommend using the setup with Mailchimp & Zapier.  I started that way and it worked for ONE Blast and then I had a few random people trying to signup for the pdf and I got an email from Squarespace asking if those were legit emails and they never got sent the pdf because the "email campaign" had "already been completed."  I tried re-setting/re-linking everything and kept getting that message.  It's like I need to setup a new campaign after every email blast from mailchimp because when it's connected through zapier to my website it's the zapier that makes it an automation that gets sent out with the pdf.  So, I ended up doing an email campaign/marketing through Squarespace so it's directly linked and there's no third party involved.  

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, Amyj said:

Can anyone help advise how I upload the PDF or word document to the automated email?

You cannot upload a file directly to the email, but if you upload the file to somewhere secure, such as Google Drive, you can provide recipients with a link to the document.

2 minutes ago, Amyj said:

I want to make it as professional as possible so this wouldn't work.

I'm not that I understand what you mean 🤔

Can you explain why a link titled 'click here to download your PDF' wouldn't be professional.

Sorry for the confusion. We already have the PDF downloadable on our website via the customer clicking a button. We now need to understand how we could obtain the email address at the point of downloading the PDF. Reading the options above we would like to prevent receiving spam emails and also the customer having to download via google drive. The PDF is currently here:

https://www.finnson.co.uk/finnson-blog/what-to-pack-for-hospital

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Amy 

16 minutes ago, Amyj said:

We already have the PDF downloadable on our website via the customer clicking a button. We now need to understand how we could obtain the email address at the point of downloading the PDF.

See this earlier post in this thread about adding a Newsletter Block in place of the button that links directly to the PDF:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this, super helpful!

Just a question re downloadable products. Can you have a free brochure type of document in the store and invite people to download it for free without an ecommerce plan?

Trying to setup a brochure link for client website inviting people to download the document .pdf in a way we can track who requests it via their name and email.

Thanks in advance x

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 8:12 PM, paul2009 said:

You cannot upload a file directly to the email, but if you upload the file to somewhere secure, such as Google Drive, you can provide recipients with a link to the document.

Hello, thank you for helping and suggestions!

Is there a way that will enable the guest enter an email > get download file link. While also having an email notification with a download file link as well?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also wondering how to send a downloadable pdf in an automated email? I have the pdf but how do I turn it into a downloadable link?

Also, I see the automation email templates already have a 'Guide' template with a button labeled as "download the pdf", but how do I do this if I just have a file and not a link to it?

Thanks!