Page speed optimization

Site URL: http://wearecravingadventure.com/

Hi,

In light of the upcoming google update, what is everyone doing to optimize their SS sites, especially blogs? What can be done to make the site faster besides optimizing images?

Looking at my web core vitals in SC, I don't have a single url that passes as good! What can I do to change that?

Would really appreciate some tips & helpful resources on the topic

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the thread below (Circle members only):

In summary, there is nothing you can do to improve site performance metrics as they are based on backend code that only Squarespace engineers can change. You’ll need to wait for an update from them about their plans for improvements. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 hour ago, Zineta said:

So no way to get in the green (or at least yellow) just with on page optimisation?

The only aspects you can control are the filesize of your images and the code that you add manually using Code Injection or Custom CSS. However, the size of your own code will be a drop in the ocean compared the size of the built-in Squarespace code and so optimisation won't really make a difference. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:50 AM, paul2009 said:

The only aspects you can control are the filesize of your images and the code that you add manually using Code Injection or Custom CSS. However, the size of your own code will be a drop in the ocean compared the size of the built-in Squarespace code and so optimisation won't really make a difference. 

Thanks for this clarification, Paul. I've also been wondering what else I can do beyond the obvious, like images. Now one thing that also comes up is a message about new generation image format. I've not even had the time to look at this but do you know anything about this? 

MyCalmBusinessLogoPinkOrange.thumb.png.f5629d5e37c4e5cc7e0e776894c7edaf.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I'm a Calm Business Educator who teaches solopreneurs how to deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

🎉  What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

29 minutes ago, kerstinmartin said:

I've also been wondering what else I can do beyond the obvious, like images. Now one thing that also comes up is a message about new generation image format.

New image formats like WebP are supposed to have smaller file sizes compared to JPG, but this depends on the compression level and algorithm used. So you may get a 10% increase in page speed but will the images be as sharp or colour perfect? That's a big deal for many creatives, especially artists and photographers. The jury's still out. 🙂

To be honest there are other technical factors that have a much greater influence over Squarespace performance, and I imagine Squarespace Engineers are concentrating on these.

4 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

To be honest there are other technical factors that have a much greater influence over Squarespace performance, and I imagine Squarespace Engineers are concentrating on these.

Good, I'm glad to hear this. Image quality is always a top priority for me, and our clients, and I would never want to compromise on that. Let's hope indeed that SQS engineers are on top of this, I could certainly do with an improvement in my sitespeed. Thanks, Paul! 

MyCalmBusinessLogoPinkOrange.thumb.png.f5629d5e37c4e5cc7e0e776894c7edaf.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I'm a Calm Business Educator who teaches solopreneurs how to deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

🎉  What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

Archived