Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Randomizing content

Question

Hi Squarespace builders! 

I have an odd problem. I'm trying to randomize content  on a blog. So that the thumbnail posts are displayed in a random order every time the site loads. Is this possible? 

To give context to what I'm doing (perhaps there's a better way) – I have a list of association members for my local accommodations  website. They each have "more info"... so some text and a slideshow of images. On the main blog page I'm just displaying a thumbnail link and their name. They each want a turn near the top of the page from time to time. So I need to figure out how to randomize the posts. I also have a "featured member" area on my homepage which would feature 6 members and change from time to time. 

I tried setting them up as a portfolio, but realized that 7.1 doesn't support tagging or categorizing portfolio items! UGH! Anyone else want this feature back?! 

Does anyone have some code that would work for this that I could place in the blog header? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me! 

Warmly,

AK

1 answer to this question

On 3/26/2021 at 11:50 PM, silverplatepress said:

Hi Squarespace builders! 

I have an odd problem. I'm trying to randomize content  on a blog. So that the thumbnail posts are displayed in a random order every time the site loads. Is this possible? 

To give context to what I'm doing (perhaps there's a better way) – I have a list of association members for my local accommodations  website. They each have "more info"... so some text and a slideshow of images. On the main blog page I'm just displaying a thumbnail link and their name. They each want a turn near the top of the page from time to time. So I need to figure out how to randomize the posts. I also have a "featured member" area on my homepage which would feature 6 members and change from time to time. 

I tried setting them up as a portfolio, but realized that 7.1 doesn't support tagging or categorizing portfolio items! UGH! Anyone else want this feature back?! 

Does anyone have some code that would work for this that I could place in the blog header? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me! 

Warmly,

AK

If you only want to randomize the display order of blog posts on blog page, it can be settled using javascript to shuffle the item on the page

Greeting, it's BaNgan from BeyondSpace, I am Squarespace dev focus on provide solutions to enhance feature that squarespace.com can't provide.
Feel free to check my current Squarespace Plugins Developement: Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox, Delivery Date Picker, Youtube Gallery for Squarespace
If you find my answer fit your need, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you