Form Required When Selling Workshop, Multiple Slots Sold

Site URL: https://www.BarbaraAnneHarrisFineArt.com

site password: Cinderella56!

I'm trying to set up workshops (by creating service products, and adding limited-quantity variants) for a client.  I have implemented the mandatory form be filled out when they "add to cart" however, I need that same form to be filled out if they are purchasing multiple spots.  The client is a children's club, and some parents might be buying space in the workshop for more than one of their kids (i.e. twins, siblings, etc).  Therefore, the form needs to be completed for each 'item' sold, even if it is the same exact item.  Is there a way to do this?  

Also, I have set a maximum quantity to each variant, however SS is allowing me to add more than the max quantity in my basket- not sure what I'm doing wrong here?  Furthermore, I need to add a 'wait list' email option for when the class becomes 'sold out' and a notification/stop-sale when the class is full and the max quantity has been reached.  Hoping someone can assist with this!  Thanks in advance!!

On 3/26/2021 at 1:02 AM, DevonHarris said:

I'm trying to set up workshops (by creating service products, and adding limited-quantity variants) for a client.  I have implemented the mandatory form be filled out when they "add to cart" however, I need that same form to be filled out if they are purchasing multiple spots.

You can do this by requiring customers to add each person's booking to the cart individually.

The easiest way to achieve this is to hide the quantity option so that when customers click the 'Add' button, they'll only be adding one place at a time. The form will appear and they can complete the person's details. Clicking 'Add' again will cause the form to appear again and so on.

The quantity option can be hidden with a line of CSS, but it will be specific to the product/site. The best thing to do is to add a 'tag' to these products to indicate they need to be sold individually. CSS can then be added to hide 'quantity' on products that have this tag. 

It's also a good idea to change the 'Add to Cart' button label to something else so that customers realise that they are adding a single slot at a time. For example, 'Book a place on this workshop'. 

You can change the button label easily by editing the Product's details. There are currently two versions of the product editor. On the old product editor, you'll find the rename setting on the Options tab. On the new product composer, it is in the Customize section. 🙂

I need to add a 'wait list' email option for when the class becomes 'sold out' and a notification/stop-sale when the class is full and the max quantity has been reached.

You can enable waitlist sign-ups in Commerce > Waitlists. There's an Allow Waitlist Signups toggle. When a classes is sold out, customers will not be able to add it to their carts, and a Sold Out label will display.

I have set a maximum quantity to each variant, however SS is allowing me to add more than the max quantity in my basket- not sure what I'm doing wrong here? 

The stock check is being performed, but not until the customer has completed the (lengthy!) Custom Product Form. At this point the stock warning will appear and the form will be cleared! Not a great user experience.

1034166694_Screenshot2021-03-27at15_24_35.png.e6702001d663c82a92777473f7e38504.png

In my opinion, this is a Squarespace bug that they should fix. The message about limited stock should appear as soon as you click the 'Add to Cart' button, not after the customer has completed the form. It's a bit late in the process to tell them it's unavailable!

I recommend that you report this directly to Squarespace Customer Care as this forum is not routinely monitored for support issues. You can reach out to them here.

I hope this helps.

-Paul

If this helps you, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@paul2009i think I may have a workaround- what about having member pages with information (like address etc) stored on their member profile, which would at least speed up the ‘registration’ process.  It’s not a solution but it does enhance the user experience a little.  And then on the product/service listed, badges with “limited quantity” or “5 left” or “sold out” would be displayed to prompt the buyer’s urgency to buy.  So the main Q is whether SS memberships can suooort this, and whether multiple child profiles can be saved within one member account...

11 minutes ago, DevonHarris said:

What about having member pages with information (like address etc) stored on their member profile?

I like the way you think @DevonHarris! Unfortunately, there isn't a Member Areas feature that can do this, and Squarespace have not given us Developer access to Member Areas data, so it's not something we can add with code.

I listed this limitation when I wrote about the blockers that are preventing widespread adoption of the Member Areas product. You'll find the post on the Member Areas Q&A thread here but, in summary, Member Areas profile content is fixed, which means you cannot add the type of information that you want for the sibling profiles, or any other basic member information.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

@DevonHarris This might be a little late, but I was wondering if you could simply process the spot booking first, and send an automated email that says "Thanks for booking your spot, now please fill out this form for each place in the workshop." That way you'll still get to collect their information, and if they haven't clicked the link, using automation to send reminder emails for them to fill out the forms. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi @GeraldineLee thanks so much for the suggestion!!!  Unfortunately that might not be the best solution for these clientele, I believe the site owner would rather collect the information all up-front at time of booking.  I still have to learn more with the workshops though.  I find SS is very limited in this arena, and would love to see them expand the options a little more.  i.e. repeated every week, reflected in the calendar, multiple payment options, and advance their membership areas to house user profiled, for users to 'repurchase' workshops for example, without having to fill out the mandatory form again.

Thanks again for your idea!!!  🙂