Conversions API for Facebook

Hi- Trying to figure out of I've got conversion API set up correctly for Facebook.  These updates were triggered by the iOS 14 release.  Here's some info:

1.  Went through the implementation steps in Data Manager on FB, got a Token and used Payload Helper to get some code

2. Placed this code into SQSP via Code Injection

3. FB Events Manager shows all my events as active

Questions:

1. Do I need to set up a separate batch of code through Payload Helper for EACH event?

2. How do I know that SQSP is accurately passing back conversion info?  Not seeing many/any sales coming from FB in SQSP or Google Analytics.

Just feel like I might be missing something.  FB has been relatively helpful, but they don't know anything about how SQSP deals with their code.  And SQSP just says that they see the code but can't tell me anything about whether it is functional.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested to see that code when you get it working. To you questions

1. I am not sure on this but I think that each event would be triggered in a different way. As typically you would setup a Standard Event (such as purchase, but for testing I would recommend you simply use a view-content event which you can trigger on all pages and means you will get event data through more quickly) to fire on a given action, such as clicking a button.

2. In the Events manager you will see under Connection Method Browser (pixel) + Server (CAPI) under the sources. When you see that coming through mouse over the graph and you will see the events by connection method, and if there are same events they will automatically be de-duplicated.

For that de-duplication to take place you need to fire both the pixel and send the CAPI conversion event using the same event ID. So if you have the FB pixel loaded into the SS options, you should probably take that out as you lose the control to set a unique event ID across two events that are not being controlled from the same source. In other words somehow you get SS to create a unique ID for a user sessions and then send that EVENT ID using the pixel + CAPI event.

I'm not sure if that helps you or simply confirms what you already know, difficult to know this from your questions, but please keep me looped in 🙂

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Thanks very much for the reply.  Currently, under Connection Method, all my events only show "Browser".  If I'm understanding what you wrote, is this saying that the generic FB pixel code I have loaded in Squarespace Code Injection is overriding the conversion API code I entered?  If so, it sounds like you're suggesting removing the generic pixel code, and adding a simple conversion event to test things (e.g., View Content), then check Events Manager to see if connection method shows CAPI.  If that works, then I imagine I would load in code for each and every Conversion event (which I can build in Payload Helper).  Thanks again.

Correct, currently by entering the FB pixel ID in the SS field area of the admin section  you are only going to fire the browser event. This is what you would see.

If you have successfully managed to do the Payload plus the field in SS in place, what you would expect to see is Browser + Server, but because you are not triggering with the same ID you would have duplicate events which were not possible to de-duplicate. Facebook Events Manager would tell you this.

The best thing to do for testing is going to be as follows:

1. Remove the FB pixel from SS - wait a day so you have no data for a single days date range.
2. Go to business manager and make sure all the diagnostic messages and errors are set to fixed.
3. Do implementation of both CAPI + PIXEL code, these would be both fired at the same time.

Send a few events to Facebook and see that you get Browser + Server.

The problem I has is trying to understand how you create a random ID that you then assign and send via the pixel and CAPI, this is key for it all to work and avoid dupes.

Hope this helps.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Archived