H1 title not showing up in spider crawl

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @Boise_Jim - the Screaming Frog tool looks for the first TWO <h1> tags on each page, so my guess is that the h1s you're looking for are in the "h1-2" column of the Screaming Frog report. Squarespace sometimes wraps the site-title or logo (depending on layout) in a <h1> tag, which makes the page title h1 the second one on the page. This shouldn't be hurting your SEO though – Google is likely smart enough to figure that out.

• 2 years later...

I just encountered this same issue (a spider crawl indicated that all H1's were missing) when in the process of optimizing a client's SEO on their Squarespace 7.0 site.

As you can see from what @Boise_Jim shared, there are no H1's showing up in the crawl report, and I'm having that same result. I'm not sure why Squarespace would wrap the site-title or logo in an  <h1>  tag, when there is likely to be a heading on the page, where a user can apply "heading" (H1) accurately.

I'm also not following the logic @edharris. If the site-title/logo has an <h1> tag, and then the actual heading has an <h1> tag, and Screaming Frog is scanning for the first 2 instances of <h1> tags, then the heading should appear in the report, but it is not.

For On-page SEO best practices, there should only be one <h1> tag on any page. While Google is smart, it does create indexing issues when tags are not applied appropriately (or in this case when there are multiple <h1> applied when Google is expecting only one), which can negatively affect SEO.

Are we able to remove the <h1> tag from the site-title/logo and instead use a better tag for this, such as:

figure > img -  for image logo
div > span -  for text logo

FWIW, when I viewed the page source for multiple pages on my client's Squarespace website, the only <h1>s that appeared in the code were applied to logo. No <h1> tag was applied to the actual heading in the code, even though "Heading 1 / <h1>" was applied in the text styling.

1 hour ago, Earnestmedia said:

I'm also not following the logic @edharris. If the site-title/logo has an <h1> tag, and then the actual heading has an <h1> tag, and Screaming Frog is scanning for the first 2 instances of <h1> tags, then the heading should appear in the report, but it is not.

Squarespace 7.0 templates didn't all behave the same with h1 tagging, so perhaps your client's site is using a different template to the site mentioned earlier in the thread. I totally agree it's not ideal that the templates were coded this way. They seem to have corrected this in 7.1, where the site logo/title are no longer wrapped in h1 tags.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to strip the h1 tags from the logo on a 7.0 site.