Email section colors invert in dark mode

Hi all !

So I am creating blast email templates to send to my contact lists, where I choose a specific color for my section background (let's say, green). It looks great and all, but when someone receives it on their phone or tablet, and their dark mode is turned on, then the background color inverts and it looks really bad.

Is there a way to force the background color on any devices?

Thank you so much for the help!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

February 17th, 2022 still waiting for a fix for this. With such a large population of people utilizing darkmode you would think this would be an urgent priority. I thought I would outsmart the glitch by selecting a #121212 Dark Grey color to match gmail's dark mode, but when I tested it, the color flipped back to a light grey/off-white! Something is amiss with their dynamic response in the background color coding... 

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, wow. This is still a problem when using dark mode in iOS 3rd party email apps (like Gmail). It has been resolved -- best I can tell -- in other dark mode scenarios.

Just sent a client's email blast out to about 500 recipients. Here's hoping that only a couple are using dark mode with Gmail. Because... it looks awful.

Can ya' fix this, Squarespace?

Edited by DaysWithColor
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Jo_SQSP changed the title to Email section colors invert in dark mode
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this thread here as an update that I am having the same issue. This is an iphoneSE with and without dark mode on, in the Gmail app. 

I am going to create a new image for my logo that includes the dark background, as a work-around for this issue for now. The rest of the email is still readable, just with the colors inverted. 

- Laura Hansen

www.laurahansen.art 

IMG_5268.thumb.jpg.2af5328e9b96edc59c49dddff56f782b.jpgIMG_5267.thumb.jpg.9ab6f26921df09810bc9ddd8e8624c29.jpg

Edited by LauraHansenArt
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

It's Oct 2023 and this issue is still happening. I sent a test email to myself before our gothic-based brand launch, and it appeared with white backgrounds and white text...glad I caught it! Since Squarespace doesn't seem to care about this issue, I wanted to chime in with some recent experience and thought on Wix!

I've been using Wix and Squarespace, each for different marketing clients. Wix allows you to do much more as far as visual marketing is concerned. Its commerce space, and it's platform as a whole isn't as organized and perhaps intuitive as Squarespace. But it does get the job well enough that if you're running a basic commerce site, Wix creative flexibility in marketing features and its site builder outweighs Squarespace's commerce features. I create email campaigns and event pages pretty smoothly. I definitely recommend at least checking it out if this glitch also ruins a lot of your marketing branding.