Getting an error message "Safari cannot open the page" when accessing site

Hi, I trialled the Squarespace product, built a website and then paid $300 for a 12 month plan over 24 hours ago. I imported the domain that I own and when I now try to locate my new website, I get the message "Safari cannot open the page because the website cannot be found."

Can you please shed any light on why this is the case ?
Kind regards,
Oceanair
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Derrick, thanks for the reply. I followed the prompts on the Squarespace process for transferring my existing domain (ecosaltpools.com) so maybe it needs more time. I've seen a couple of references to taking 24-72 hours ( instantaneous internet? )so maybe I will just have to be more patient.

A bit disappointed that the SS help /support tab only provides a drop down menu of common issues and not access to a web chat for example. I'm totally new to all this so perhaps I have unreallistic expectations.

Thanks heaps for your reply 

Thanks Derrick. I entered my domain (ecosaltpools.com ) via the link you provided and under the heading, 'Domain Status : ' it says ....'clientTransferProhibited'

Does this mean I  CAN'T transfer my ( google )domain to use with a Website I built using Squarespace (and have paid to be hosted by Siteground )?

Thanks for your help with my newbie questions !

Generally you need to go to where the domain name is hosted and turn off the domain transfer lock.

Without the lock feature anyone could potentially steal your domain.

Sometimes you also need to use a code that is generated to get the transfer to happen.

Once the lock is turned off and codes provided, if needed, then you can transfer your domain. When things go smoothly it can be like 15 minutes or less. When things go bad, it can take much longer.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Getting an error message "Safari cannot open the page" when accessing site

Archived