URL for uploaded content (PDF, for example)

Hi,

I have a client who designed their website with Squarespace and who have now asked me to update and streamline the page. One thing they asked me to change is the URL for PDF files that have been uploaded to Squarespace in the past.

At the moment, some of those links begin with https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ , followed by a cryptic list of characters, and then ".pdf" at the end. (Others I believ have some "sailfish-oriole" in the beginning)

All PDF files open fine, but the client would prefer "www.clientdomainname.com/" followed by a filename (or a subfolder plus filename). They just want a URL that's a bit easier to read and remember.

How can I do that? Haven't found anything in the site options.
Would it be easier to re-upload the PDF files? And if so: how can I make sure they don't receive the same "static1.squarespace.com" or "sailfish-oriole" prefixes?

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the site has a primary domain connected to it, the PDFs should be accessible using the domain name followed by /s/ followed by the pdf name.

For example, if the site has the domain name example.com and a PDF called 'mypdf.pdf' has been uploaded, it can be opened using the link 'example.com/s/mypdf.pdf'. This will allow the owner to share a URL that uses the site's domain name.

However, when a visitor clicks on this link to download the PDF, they'll be downloading it from their nearest server on a content delivery network, so they'll download it from a Squarespace domain with 'static' and a series of random looking characters in the URL.   

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived