Way to get listed as a “place” on Google Maps without enabling reviews?

Hello!

I recently created a site for a friend who has opened a private psychotherapy practice. After being live for a couple weeks now, search results for her name and related keywords have been slowly improving, but her practice doesn’t show up on Google maps or on the map view when searching for her by location.

I offered to set up a Google My Business account, but she was hesitant to do this because she was unsure if she wanted to make it easier for patients (or former patients) to leave reviews for her, due to the nature of her work. Because it’s a psychotherapy practice, HIPAA privacy laws make it difficult to respond to negative reviews while maintaining patient privacy (I think they have to say something unhelpful and generic like “Due to HIPAA regulations, we are unable to respond to individual reviews, but we take all feedback seriously...”). 

So just a couple of questions for anyone who knows more about this than I do...

1. Could she eventually show up on the map by default, without doing anything? And in that case, will there automatically be an option for people to leave reviews, regardless of whether she has a Google My Business account? Or does a business have to have the GMB account to get reviews?
2. In Google, there’s a link to “add a missing place” and submit a place, which I assume I could do without setting up a Google My Business account. But would doing this automatically activate the option for people to leave reviews?

I guess I’m thinking that if people will eventually be able to leave Google reviews for her anyway, we might as well set up a Google My Business account now to help her show up on the map and in search results now. But just want to make sure I’m explaining this accurately to her.

Thanks! 

• Replies 0
  • Views 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived