Domain transfer from Wix

Hello -

I want to transfer my domain from my current Wix website to my new Squarespace site with as little downtime as possible. Does anyone here know if I first use Squarespace's DNS entries to point my domain (registered at Wix) to my new Squarespace site, wait for that to work, and THEN transfer the domain from Wix to Squarespace, will that minimize the downtime in the site? Or is it better to just initiate the transfer right from the get-go?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 1
  • Views 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found that most transfers happen within 15 minutes or less.

However when there is a screwup. It can take awhile to get things straightened out and that can mean downtime.

These days I think a common issue is not following the instructions exactly as both registrars describe. For example not unlocking your domain at the current registrar before trying to do a transfer to a new registrar. Or missing an email to confirm something or get the secret code.

If you feel relatively confident with computer stuff I say go for the transfer without the DNS record fiddling.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Archived