Search bar is missing accessibility features

• 2 months later...

Hi @KriBa,

Still looking for some help with this? Try adding the following within Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > Header Injection:

<!-- jQuery -->
<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.5.0.min.js"></script>

<!-- Add Search Labels for Accessibility -->
<script>
  $(document).ready(function(){
    $(".Header-search-form-input").attr("aria-label", "Search");
    $(".Header-search-form-submit").attr("aria-label", "Submit Search");
  });
</script>

If you're looking for further assistance dealing with WAVE errors, feel free to send me a DM or checkout our free audit tool at squareada.com/audit.

Hope this helps!
-Tyler

The above post may be outdated. I’m no longer active in the Squarespace ecosystem, so I won’t see your direct messages. For better resources about web accessibility, I’ve documented some of my thoughts on my forum profile.

• 4 months later...

Hi @jenthomson,

For the search results page (as in squarespace.com/search), it's a different selector. Try this:

$(".sqs-search-page-input input").attr("aria-label", "Search");

Hope this helps!
-Tyler

The above post may be outdated. I’m no longer active in the Squarespace ecosystem, so I won’t see your direct messages. For better resources about web accessibility, I’ve documented some of my thoughts on my forum profile.

Hi @jenthomson,

The search bar on that page doesn't immediately load in on $(document).ready, so you may need to add an additional delay. Something like this:

setTimeout(function(){
  $(".sqs-search-page-input input").attr("aria-label", "Search");
}, 1000);

Hope this helps! Feel free to send me a DM if you're looking for further assistance.

-Tyler

Edited by tcp13

@jenthomson

For these kind of loading issues you may want to consider using a MutationObserver. It is more complicated than a setTimeout but you don't have to estimate how long it will take for the element to show up and possibly miss or delay something happening.

MO's are designed specifically for situations where you want to watch for a particular node to arrive on the DOM and then modify that element.

Please see Search Page Input Aria-Label Attribute Add.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...

@tcp13 Hello! Looking for some help with this as well if you are able - I have "no accessible name" popping up for my search icon & for the mobile menu on my Squarespace site. Is there any code to help with this? I am on 7.0, Rally template in the Brine family. www.mirandakelton.com

Thanks so much! 

Mobile menu.jpg

Search Button.jpg

Edited by mirandakelton
9 hours ago, mirandakelton said:

I have "no accessible name" popping up for my search icon

Try this:

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.6.4/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script>
  $(".Mobile-bar-menu").attr("aria-label", "toggle mobile navigation menu");
  $(".Header-search-form-submit").attr("aria-label", "search");
</script>

• 2 weeks later...

@mirandakelton,

You may need to wrap it in document ready:

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.6.4/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script>
  $(document).ready(function(){
  });
</script>

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure from here.

Edited by tcp13

On 4/5/2023 at 10:02 PM, tcp13 said:

Try this:

<script>
</script>

@tcp13 Looks like that worked!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!