Momentum template is still completely broken on mobile

Site URL: https://insidefukushima.org/

I posted about an issue with the momentum template a few months ago stating that it is completely broken on mobile and it still has not been resolved.

I'm not sure if this template is just not widely used, but I reported the issue to Squarespace, they said they were aware of it and would work on a fix, and they still have not done anything. My site, like every other site using momentum, is completely unusable on mobile. Attempting to swipe through the gallery causes it to instantly freeze and break, and even using the arrow keys causes it to break once it reaches the end of the gallery.

I've tried fixing it on my own through CSS, header, and even git, but nothing will work. When I last spoke to Squarespace I tried to tell them that this was affecting all sites using the momentum template and they transferred me to 4 different people. Each person used a prewritten response to tell me about how "they had to view every site using the template and figure out why it worked for some but didn't work for others." I'm not even kidding, they apparently didn't even read my description of the problem because I specifically talked about how it affected every site and even the base template...

They suggested I use a different template, which is meaningless to me because I specifically signed up for Squarespace to use the momentum template, and there is not a single other template that functions like momentum. I have no idea what to do at this point because every time I send my website to someone I have to tell them that they have to view it on a desktop because the mobile site is broken, its ridiculous.

Should I just switch to something like wordpress at this point? Thankfully I had the foresight to document my gallery layout and backup the descriptions for all of my photos. Transferring everything will be a nightmare but if this isn't going to ever be resolved (which its looking like it won't) I'd rather get a head start on it...

If anyone is interested in seeing what this looks like, here is my previous post: 

• Replies 3
  • Views 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through your site and experienced what you posted. It didn't happen in inspect mobile view on my desktop, I had to be viewing it from my phone. If I scrolled an image, pushed it left or right it would jerk around for the lack of a better term, but if I simply tapped it,  the image would smoothly scroll to the next one, could not get to the previous one by tapping and if I  scrolled back it would do it but not smoothy at all. 

Have you changed the gallery pages transition from slide to fade In? I think this would change both desktop and mobile.

I know it would be a bit of work but you could use pages with gallery blocks instead of gallery pages, and create a different layout, but this once again changes both mobile and desktop. 

There is this code. It changes a summary block carousel to stack on mobile,   https://schwartz-edmisten.com/blog/better-carousel-summary-block-layout-on-mobile

Momentum is a very unique template, and you have made good use of it with a tough subject to photograph. I can understand why you don't want to move away from it. Let's hope some help is coming soon. 

11 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

I went through your site and experienced what you posted. It didn't happen in inspect mobile view on my desktop, I had to be viewing it from my phone. If I scrolled an image, pushed it left or right it would jerk around for the lack of a better term, but if I simply tapped it,  the image would smoothly scroll to the next one, could not get to the previous one by tapping and if I  scrolled back it would do it but not smoothy at all. 

Have you changed the gallery pages transition from slide to fade In? I think his would change both desktop and mobile.

I know it would be a bit of work but you could use pages with gallery blocks instead of gallery pages, and create a different layout, but this once again changes both mobile and desktop. 

There is this code. It changes a summary block crousel to stack on mobile,   https://schwartz-edmisten.com/blog/better-carousel-summary-block-layout-on-mobile

Momentum is a very unique template, and you have made good use of it with a tough subject to photograph. I can understand why you don't want to move away from it. Let's hope some help is coming soon. 

Thank you very much for looking into this so throughly, I really appreciate it. I just changed it from "slide" to "fade" and that seems to have fixed the issue of the photos jumping around! I can't believe that ended up fixing it, that was very perceptive of you to identify that as a possible cause. If you have the time, please check the website again on mobile to see if it is fixed for you as well. Navigating backwards seems to also work now, and the navigation buttons seem to be the respective left and right halves of the screen, so you do not need to aim for the small arrow icons.

Unfortunately the images seem to be slightly off center for some reason, with the images on mobile sitting towards the bottom, rather than being in the center of the screen. I'm not sure why this is happening, but this was happening when the transition was set to "slide" as well. Perhaps it's possible to move the images via custom CSS? I was able to substantially enlarge the information (i) icon through CSS, so I imagine centering the photos will be possible as well. I'll have to look into that.

I think I'm going to try to keep the "gallery pages" for now. I think you're right that momentum is quite unique in its layout and presentation, I like that it displays images absolutely individually on the gallery so I am going to try to maintain that. The momentum template is the closest layout I could find to what a photo book would look like, which is what I am trying to imitate. 

Thank you again for the suggestion, you've managed to do what Squarespace support could not.

Archived