ALL email to Spam on new domain. Squarespace / DNS Issue? How to fix?

Site URL: http://gwyl.org

Hi,

THANKS for any help you can offer.  I really do appreciate it.  I am basically in the "dog house" with my daughter for "ruining" her email (which may or may not be true).  

So, 
- Daughter bought new domain - gwyl.org from Hover.com
- Has connected it to SquareSpace.  Website is now a few days old with SquareSpace.
- So DNS is kind of "split" - email aspect seems at Hover but website at SquareSpace.  
- Incoming gwyl.org email is forward to my daughters gmail and works fine.
- BUT she had this problem of she could not send email (no SMTP server to use) so I set her up on authSMTP.co.uk.  I made some DNS changes for that.  It worked but ALL outgoing mails to ANYBODY went to Spam.  These are NOT marketing emails.  Just ordinary emails.   
- So, all kinds of stressful talking about how to fix.  In the end, I removed all my AuthSMTP changes and she bought mailboxes from Hover. 
- These hover SMTP credentials work BUT ALL email to EVERYBODY is still going to spam.  
- I added a SPF to try to improve but made no difference.  

How can I figure this out and fix it?  THANKS.  Somehow I guess the gwyl.org sending reputations is TERRIBLE but only about 20 emails I EVER been sent so somehow this relates to the basic setup (DNS and all that).  THANKS.  

- Chris  
  • Replies 3
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hover, which I used for years, has one thing you can do to try to keep outgoing email from being marked as spam, and here it is from Hover help. 

Can I prevent my emails from being marked as spam?

There is no way to foresee how a recipient will react to an email. Sending emails to people you are not directly familiar with can lead to the email being marked as spam, which can weaken the reputation for your email service resulting in more emails being marked spam. If you are using your domain for email services, installing an SPF record will help prevent email spoofing and strengthen the domain's email reputation.

https://help.hover.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006406047-How-to-Create-an-SPF-Record

THANKS.  I have added a spf.  Had no effect.   I understand spam is a deep, dark art yet the fact that EVERY EMAIL goes to spam seems to indicate some problem.  Now maybe we need to get every recipient of any email from my daughter to just click "not spam".  THANKS for your post.   

1 hour ago, cvb_tintern said:

THANKS.  I have added a spf.  Had no effect.   I understand spam is a deep, dark art yet the fact that EVERY EMAIL goes to spam seems to indicate some problem.  Now maybe we need to get every recipient of any email from my daughter to just click "not spam".  THANKS for your post.   

Hilarious.  My daughter has phoned hover support and they had her do some tests and now everything is OK.  No changes made to anything.  Email is a dark art..  THANKS.

Archived