Jump to content

Different Pricing For Custom Forms

Recommended Posts

Site URL: https://www.mbfpetshop.com

Hey all, working on a ecommerce site and getting everything setup for launch. We sell handmade arts/crafts and pet bandanas.

I am editing all of the product pages adding variants with sizes and quantity. However, the problem I am having is adding customization option at a higher price to the bandanas past just the normal select your size dropdown.

I found a way to add a Custom Form that pops up when a customer adds a bandana to their cart and from there they can choose their pets name, font style, font color and if they want it added--but I cant seem to find a way to have it automatically adjust the price of the bandana if somebody opts for the customization embroidery. The product in the cart still just says the original price.

I guess its two questions:

1) Is there anyway to have the price of the product adjusted if somebody does fill out the custom form after a item is added to their cart? For example a normal blank bandana is $12 but if they want to personalize it with their pets name I would like the cart to update to $15 after they enter the information from the custom form.

or

2) Is there a way to have a custom form pop up only if a customer selects "Yes" under a dropdown on the product page. Can you tie custom forms based on a dropdown selection? Because right now the custom form for embrodery pops up on every item you add to the cart.


Thanks!!

 

Link to comment
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an update, but I havent fully figured out the easiest way to do this yet.

I created custom variants on the product page with different pricing for 'with custom embroidery' and 'without custom embroidery" under the same dropdown where the customer selects size.

Still though, the custom form pops up for the customer when adding to cart regardless of what option they selected where they can enter the pets name for embroidery. I put a disclaimer at the top of the form that basically says "We can only fulfill custom embroidery orders with the correct option selected on the previous product page"

It works, sort of, but its still relying a LOT on the customer to select the correct variant. I have a feeling if we launch like it is right now we are going to get a lot of people who select 'without embroidery' but still end up filling out the custom form just because it pops up for everybody regardless of their product selection from the dropdown.

There has to be a easier way to do this. Simply being able to assign the custom form to specific product variants would solve a lot of problems. 

 

bandanaexample.JPG

bandanaexample2.JPG

Link to comment
4 hours ago, mbfpetshop said:

I created custom variants on the product page with different pricing for 'with custom embroidery'.

There has to be a easier way to do this. 

Unfortunately, this is one of the main limitations of Squarespace Commerce and there isn't a solution yet.

One workaround, although you may have already considered this, is to create a separate, higher cost product for the 'with custom embroidery' options and provide a link to this in the product description.

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

Link to comment
8 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Unfortunately, this is one of the main limitations of Squarespace Commerce and there isn't a solution yet.

One workaround, although you may have already considered this, is to create a separate, higher cost product for the 'with custom embroidery' options and provide a link to this in the product description.

That was a thought, support said to create a different product category  and price those with embroidery higher with the custom form on those product pages. Basically have a Blank Bandanas category and a Custom Bandanas category.

Only issue is that it's basically duplicating the inventory all over the site and makes it twice as time consuming to manage inventory, you know?

I think the way I have it right now with those attached screenshots is the cleanest, most simple way to do it--however I have a feeling I am going to run into a LOT of people who select the $12 basic variant but still fill out the embroidery form when they add it to the cart just because it pops up for everything.

I posted disclaimers everywhere I could to "Please make sure to select the correct thing!" but still I feel like people are not going to pay attention or see it. Them I'm going to have a bunch of angry customers who wanted a embroidery because they filled it out but didn't realize they only paid for the basic bandana haha

 

Oh well, we will see what happens.

 

Link to comment
23 hours ago, personp said:

I also have a similar issue.  I want to offer a custom option with variable pricing depending on the requested requirements.  I am a florist and want to accommodate customers with special requests.  Has anyone figured out a workaround for this?

The best I got so far is to make a custom form you can apply to all product pages that prompts the customer to enter their 'customization' options when they add a product to the cart. I had to just list out all of the different pricing options in the dropdown on the product page because there is nothing that automatically calculates it for you if somebody fills out a custom form.

The issue Paul is helping me out with right now is that there is no way to trigger the custom form on specific product variants in the dropdowns. Right now its you either have to apply the custom form to all or nothing.

Check out my screenshots. This is how I tinkered with it, I added a disclaimer to the top of the form stating to only fill it out if you selected the 'with customization' option.

 

Hope this helps

dropdown.JPG

dropdown3.thumb.JPG.8f5a9aad1a31f6f86b9c91d281d353ed.JPG

 

dropdown2.JPG

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, mbfpetshop said:

The best I got so far is to make a custom form you can apply to all product pages that prompts the customer to enter their 'customization' options when they add a product to the cart. I had to just list out all of the different pricing options in the dropdown on the product page because there is nothing that automatically calculates it for you if somebody fills out a custom form.

The issue Paul is helping me out with right now is that there is no way to trigger the custom form on specific product variants in the dropdowns. Right now its you either have to apply the custom form to all or nothing.

Check out my screenshots. This is how I tinkered with it, I added a disclaimer to the top of the form stating to only fill it out if you selected the 'with customization' option.

 

Hope this helps

dropdown.JPG

dropdown3.thumb.JPG.8f5a9aad1a31f6f86b9c91d281d353ed.JPG

 

dropdown2.JPG

I found interesting code that can dynamically render the product form based on the selection, which means it can show/hide the Custom text field based on variant selection

 

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

 

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.