After recent 7.0 and 7.1 updates, I'm no longer to add multiple tags or categories to summary blocks

Site URL: https://www.foodnwhine.com/journal/beet-ricotta-lasagna-with-brown-butter-amp-poppy-seeds

In the past, I've been able to add multiple tags and/or categories when using a summary block (on a blog page) to share similar blog posts. I noticed a recent "update" to both 7.0 and 7.1 and after that update, I can now only enter one tag or category in a summary block. Is there a way around this?

Hey, Derrick - I, too, also use multiple tags and categories in each blog post, but when I include a summary block at the end of the blog to feature similar content, I'm no longer to select or enter multiple tags and categories (like I can in the actual blog post). I can select the page (my blog) and only one category (metadata) and one tag (metadata) instead of multiple categories and tags like I could before the update. That's what I'm trying to figure out - why that's changed in the summary block.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "in a 7.0 summary pulling from my blog ..."?

Edited by Margiada56

That is just a reference to the platfom my template is built on 7.0 as opposed to 7.1, I left out the word block by accident. Anyway I tested this on my site and added a summary block at the end of a blog post. I then edited the summary and could choose primary metadata, which could be a cat or tag and secondary which could also be a cat or tag.  Both or one could be a number of other things as well, date, author, etc. I did the same with my 7.1 sandbox site, and it too allowed me to choose cat in either primary metadata or secondary metadata or both. So I could have two cats, or two tags or one of each. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Hi @Margiada56 you're talking about the category and tag filters you can apply to summary blocks. Previously it was an open text field so you could comma separate multiple tags/categories, but now it's a dropdown so you can only select one.

I agree that this is a severe limitation in the latest update and hope that Squarespace see sense that it is really useful to be able to filter by multiple categories/tags.

Andrew

On 2/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Margiada56 said:

In the past, I've been able to add multiple tags and/or categories when using a summary block (on a blog page) to share similar blog posts. I noticed a recent "update" to both 7.0 and 7.1 and after that update, I can now only enter one tag or category in a summary block.

This is the result of the Block Editor UI update that was rolled out without warning on 3rd February 2021. Prior to this update, you could manually enter multiple tags separated by commas on anything other than Squarespace 7.1 Store content. Unfortunately, the new Block Editor has a dropdown control instead of a textbox and it is now only possible to select one category (or tag). 

Squarespace overcame many of the new UI limitations by issuing an update on 14 February, but this particular issue was not resolved in this update. I agree with @digitalfreelancer that this is extremely irritating and look forward to this being fixed in the near future. You can voice your concerns to the Product team by logging a ticket here.

For information, the Summary Block Editor UI is shown below, before and after the update (Feb 2021):

squarespace-summary-block-2020-display-tab-catfilter.png.73c7b35824eea012b2a950ea3bb2fd7c.png squarespace-summary-block-2021-filter-items.thumb.png.6ecd15d622099d9c9636330e0e8c843d.png

See the update. The ability to add multiple tags was restored.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 5:59 PM, paul2009 said:

Squarespace overcame many of the new UI limitations by issuing an update on 14 February, but this particular issue was not resolved in this update. I agree with @digitalfreelancer that this is extremely irritating and I hope this is being fixed now.

Luckily it has been fixed by now. Yay!!! 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:43 AM, AllanYung said:

I've actually been able to select multiple tags but it displays all posts that match any of the tags, not posts that match all of the tags. How can I only show posts that match all tags?

I wish SS also added an option to use operators with tags. Like browser search operators))))) I also need this feature for products on the site I'm working on(((

One of the options would be using a paid plugin - Universal Filter.

Another option I could think of is simple but not optimal because works only if you need to filter by 2 tags, not more. It is duplicating certain tags as categories.
In this case you cannot use the Archive block because it will look messy.

Let's say you have 2 Categories: dogs, cats and various Tags: different colors, breeds, young/old, long-haired/hairless etc.
If you want your summary to show only black bulldogs you will need to duplicate breed Tags (OR colors) as Categories. So instead of selecting Dog-category and Black-tag + Bulldog-tag (which will show you all black dogs and all bulldogs in different colors), you will select Bulldog-category and Black-tag.

The problem arises when you want to show all mixed-breed black dogs... Because if you select Mixed-breed-Category and Black-Tag it will also show you black mixed-breed cats. In this case you can probably split Mixed-breed-category into two Categories: 'mixed-breed dogs" and "mixed-breed cats". But then again, if you want to show black mixed-breed dogs with long hair you're stuck(((((

www.afterworkdiy.ru

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, digitalfreelancer said:

Hi @Margiada56 you're talking about the category and tag filters you can apply to summary blocks. Previously it was an open text field so you could comma separate multiple tags/categories, but now it's a dropdown so you can only select one.

I agree that this is a severe limitation in the latest update and hope that Squarespace see sense that it is really useful to be able to filter by multiple categories/tags.

Andrew

I am new to Squarespace and am staggered that it isn't possible to simply display posts anywhere on the site by category or tag. The limitation to displaying them from one blog is so restricting. Or am I missing something? 

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone’s situation is different, but I got around this problem, for my situation. I wanted to add two tags (single and strawberry) that would lead to a single item, so I added a new tag that combined both those catagories, (eg “singlestrawberry”)  and selected that newly created tag. Bit annoying, but it worked for my needs. Just FYI I had to log out and back in again for the tags to reset though. 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Margiada56 said:

In the past, I've been able to add multiple tags and/or categories when using a summary block (on a blog page) to share similar blog posts. I noticed a recent "update" to both 7.0 and 7.1 and after that update, I can now only enter one tag or category in a summary block. Is there a way around this?

You used to be able to select multiple tags. This was removed in the Block Editor UI Update (discussed above) but was recently restored to allow you to select multiple tags:

select-multiple-tags-aug-2021-summary-block.gif.5f3f9dc64774613ec9a355bb8e927b42.gif

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.