Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

After recent 7.0 and 7.1 updates, I'm no longer to add multiple tags or categories to summary blocks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the result of the Block Editor UI update that was rolled out without warning on 3rd February 2021. Prior to this update, you could manually enter multiple categories (or multiple tags) separat

Hi @Margiada56 you're talking about the category and tag filters you can apply to summary blocks. Previously it was an open text field so you could comma separate multiple tags/categories, but now it'

I see. I guess I'm just not sure why I used to be able to add multiple categories and tags in each metadata field (in the summary block) and I can't now. Thanks.

Posted Images

In a 7.0 summary pulling from my blog, I have primary metadata which can be a cat or whatever and secondary metadata which can be a tag  and then there is the item filter. I have always added multiple cats or tags  to a blog post on the blog page itself not in a summary block. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Hey, Derrick - I, too, also use multiple tags and categories in each blog post, but when I include a summary block at the end of the blog to feature similar content, I'm no longer to select or enter multiple tags and categories (like I can in the actual blog post). I can select the page (my blog) and only one category (metadata) and one tag (metadata) instead of multiple categories and tags like I could before the update. That's what I'm trying to figure out - why that's changed in the summary block.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "in a 7.0 summary pulling from my blog ..."?

Edited by Margiada56

That is just a reference to the platfom my template is built on 7.0 as opposed to 7.1, I left out the word block by accident. Anyway I tested this on my site and added a summary block at the end of a blog post. I then edited the summary and could choose primary metadata, which could be a cat or tag and secondary which could also be a cat or tag.  Both or one could be a number of other things as well, date, author, etc. I did the same with my 7.1 sandbox site, and it too allowed me to choose cat in either primary metadata or secondary metadata or both. So I could have two cats, or two tags or one of each. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Hi @Margiada56 you're talking about the category and tag filters you can apply to summary blocks. Previously it was an open text field so you could comma separate multiple tags/categories, but now it's a dropdown so you can only select one.

I agree that this is a severe limitation in the latest update and hope that Squarespace see sense that it is really useful to be able to filter by multiple categories/tags.

Andrew

On 2/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Margiada56 said:

In the past, I've been able to add multiple tags and/or categories when using a summary block (on a blog page) to share similar blog posts. I noticed a recent "update" to both 7.0 and 7.1 and after that update, I can now only enter one tag or category in a summary block.

This is the result of the Block Editor UI update that was rolled out without warning on 3rd February 2021. Prior to this update, you could manually enter multiple categories (or multiple tags) separated by commas on anything other than Squarespace 7.1 Store content. Unfortunately, the new Block Editor has a dropdown control instead of a textbox and it is now only possible to select one category (or tag). 

Squarespace overcame many of the new UI limitations by issuing an update on 14 February, but this particular issue was not resolved in this update. I agree with @digitalfreelancer that this is extremely irritating and I hope this is being fixed now. You can voice your concerns to the Product team by logging a ticket here.

For information, the Summary Block Editor UI is shown below, before and after the update:

squarespace-summary-block-2020-display-tab-catfilter.png.73c7b35824eea012b2a950ea3bb2fd7c.png squarespace-summary-block-2021-filter-items.thumb.png.6ecd15d622099d9c9636330e0e8c843d.png

Edited by paul2009

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi, I'm Paul, founder of SF Digitalbuilding the features that Squarespace didn't include. Pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect. Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.  Squarespace. I've been a loyal supporter of the platform since 2007. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, paul2009 said:

This has not been fixed yet.

I've actually been able to select multiple tags but it displays all posts that match any of the tags, not posts that match all of the tags. How can I only show posts that match all tags?