Adding multiple images to gallery but they can only be done one at a time.

I have been setting up multiple photo galleries for my site. I have tried everything to add more than one at a time. Ctrl, Shift, trying to box with the mouse, etc. but I can only add one. I have hundreds of images from my PC to get onto the site. I have seen elsewhere on this forum that others experience this too, and have searched elsewhere for a fix. Is this native to the builder, or am I just missing something. With gratitude. 

What happens when you try uploading multiple images at once into the media panel?  What do you see? 

I have over a thousand images on my site, in gallery pages, blogs, gallery blocks and have had multiple things happen, or not happen when uploading but when it comes to a gallery page or block, when its a new one, I upload multiple images, usually by drag and drop at once, both for myself and the other photography sites I manage. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Are you using 7.0 or 7.1?  In 7.1 gallery pages, sections or projects sections click the litte image icon, panel opens on the left with thumbnails, I hit the upload images + , I can  choose to drag and drop like with 7.0 or open one of my image folders.  I can choose/ click put the check mark on multiple thumbnails from my image folders on my desktop and up they go with a progress bar instead ot that spinning circle I get in 7.0. I  tested both my 7.0 and 7.1 sandbox/lab sites and could upload multiple images in any gallery page or gallery/project or gallery  block.

Hi, I'm also having a difficult time navigating the image upload. I want a bulk upload to populate a list summary block. I understand I have to create a collection first, but I'm only able to see the blog collection and then I can't upload more than one image at a time. When I try adding images from the portfolio, events, and store pages the message is "There are no page collections." 

Also, I added metadata to my images, and I want to be able to edit that copy in the summary list block. Thank you in advance for your help.

With 7.0 you have to have a gallery page for the summary block to see, loaded, not a gallery block and it cannot be inside an index page or the summary will not pull content from it. 7.0 summaries can also pull content from events, projects, and products page. It will pull content from a blog. 7.1 only sees content from a blog, store, or event pages. Both 7.0 and 7.1will allow gallery blocks in a blog and summaries will link and pull a thumbnail from those pages as well. 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue in 7.0. When trying to add multiple images from my existing library to a photo gallery in 7.0, I can only check the box of one photo at a time. As soon as I check a second photo, the checkmark next to the first photo I chose is unselected. I have to go through the entire process – searching my library for the photo, checking the box next to the photo, adding the photo – to add each individual photo to the gallery, instead of being able to check multiple boxes to add more than one photo to the gallery at a time. This is using Squarespace 7.0. 

@lwist

I can confirm your description of the problem on both v7.0 and v7.1. The key for me was when you said existing images. You can only select one at a time.

As far as images from the local file system I've been able to upload multiple files.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thanks for confirming the problem. Is there a process for submitting this issue? Since photo galleries have multiple images (by definition) and the interface shows checkboxes (which are standard for selecting multiple items), users should be able to select more than one photo from their library at a time to add to a gallery. It's very frustrating to create a photo gallery and have to select each photo one at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

just let me add here that the behaviour of squarespace adding existing images that have already been uploaded is not acceptable and should be addressed by squarespace asap.

we ran into this on a huge site with multiple galleries and hundreds of images and it is a pain working like this. we are spending hours clicking images into an gallery ONE BY ONE! to bad we cant change the plattform at this point. i would if i could ... 

there is more when dealing with images:

• can't delete images
  • images that are not used on any page still don't get deleted automatically after 30 days as stated in the documentation (as a result we have a huge pile of images we don't need anymore getting in our way in the daily work)
  • images in the add-images-dialogue are not sortable
  • i can't see which images are used on which page - or if they are being referenced at all
  • different images can have same names
  • i can't sort images into subfolders

ADVISE: if your site is going to be using lots of images squarespace might not be the best choice for your project. 

i contacted support several times about the above issues but besides being super-friendly they can't help. 

• 2 months later...

I have found the uploading of images to a gallery a problem too. I selected a whole bunch of images to upload - somewhere along the way the system crashed between uploading and adding them to the gallery block. The page wasn't saved. So, I had all the images uploaded but now no way of adding them to the re-created gallery except to add them one by one or, annoyingly, to upload them all over again. I uploaded them all over again because it was simpler but now there's a whole bunch of duplicated images....

On 1/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, STEAMLabs said:

I have found the uploading of images to a gallery a problem too. I selected a whole bunch of images to upload - somewhere along the way the system crashed between uploading and adding them to the gallery block. The page wasn't saved. So, I had all the images uploaded but now no way of adding them to the re-created gallery except to add them one by one or, annoyingly, to upload them all over again. I uploaded them all over again because it was simpler but now there's a whole bunch of duplicated images....

I'm having the exact same issue, it is very frustrating! When I upload multiple, and even single images, they upload.. the screen refreshes.. and it appears that they have uploaded until I press "DONE" then the pages refreshes again and the page won't show any of the uploads saved.

I use Microsoft Edge with the extensions disabled, today I also installed Firefox without extensions and have the same issue when uploading. I have a very fast internet connection at 1 gbps, upload and 1 gbps download and an extremely fast PC, built for gaming, Windows 10 (64bit), i9 11900K, nVidea GTX 3060, 64 GB RAM, Solid State Drive(s). I don't think it's an issue with my hardware or connection. 

• 5 weeks later...

Has there been any movement on this? Or has anyone figured out a workaround?

I'm on 7.1 and having all the issues stated here, either being forced to pick images for a gallery one by one or the batch uploader crashing. Even when I'm able to get all the images into the gallery, the system is glitchy and reordering them is a huge pain. It constantly crashes. Last time I did this it took 4 hours to get one carousel up. I can't have that kind of time suck in my small business when I'm just trying to upload new photos onto my site.

If anyone has figured out a workaround until Squarespace gets their sh*t together, let me know. 

• 7 months later...

Seems SS has a *new* Asset Library. (Wow.) Why don't they also include a file upload feature, so we can just batch upload our images files to our Asset Library that way? Maybe it'd bypass the glitch in the Gallery Image Upload thingy.

Funny, I just noticed, at the bottom of this very message box, an option to attach files:

" [paperclip icon] Drag files here to attach, or choose files....  Accepted file types: gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png, mp4, 3pg, mov, ogg, ogv, mpg, mpeg, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v   Max total size: 48.83MB"

That's what I'm looking for in the Asset Library!

Clearly they have the technology and the resources.

2 minutes ago, jtherieau said:

Funny, I just noticed, at the bottom of this very message box, an option to attach files:

" [paperclip icon] Drag files here to attach, or choose files....  Accepted file types: gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png, mp4, 3pg, mov, ogg, ogv, mpg, mpeg, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v   Max total size: 48.83MB"

The software that drives this forum is not SS's software. SS uses a forum software provider.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.