Will moving my domain from my current SS site to new a SS site affect SEO?

Site URL: http://bdemm.com/

HI, I'm redesigning my portfolio website to be a client converting serviced based site. I want to use my existing domain and just repoint it from my current Squarespace site to my newly designed (but not yet live) Squarespace site. Is this the best way to do this and will it hurt my existing search rankings with Google? 

Thanks for any insights!

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 9.53.26 AM.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may cause a blip at first, but it will not take Google long to catch up. What will happen is that if you deactivate your old sight right away and the page slugs on the new one don't match your old ones some viewers, comimg from search engines,  may get  page not found errors at first. I  suggest that on your new site you direct those hits to your about page or your home page or make a new page saying this is my new site hope you like it or something to that effect. 

4 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

It may cause a blip at first, but it will not take Google long to catch up. What will happen is that if you deactivate your old sight right away and the page slugs on the new one don't match your old ones some viewers, comimg from search engines,  may get  page not found errors at first. I  suggest that on your new site you direct those hits to your about page or your home page or make a new page saying this is my new site hope you like it or something to that effect. 

Good to know and thank you for the suggestion about the redirect. Will do!

Archived