Vimeo use with Square Space becomes exclusive to only those with a PRO Vimeo account

I'm adding a video to a SS page as I usually do via Vimeo with the Vimeo URL and SS is now notifying me it no longer will use videos from a basic Vimeo account. What is the story behind this exclusivity? Has SS made a deal with Vimeo to drive current SS customers over to sign up to Vimeo PRO? I can't think of any other reason to restrict customers like myself from adding video content onto my site - which I don't to pay further fees for. 

If this is a case of simple financial gain for both parties which adds no benefit to my business marketing I'll happily jump over to You-Tube and encourage others to do so.

Are there any other possible hidden costs out these SS that I should be aware of?

yours 

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See this this thread for restrictions on background videos:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 hour ago, paul2009 said:

See this this thread:

I'm having the same issue, but the thread you are referring to does not help here since that is about background video, not about regular video blocks. This restriction does in fact seem to be new.

There's currently a bug that's causing this issue. All Vimeo videos (including Basic plan videos) should be able to be added to standard Video Blocks. Unfortunately the new Block Editor that was introduced this week has caused this to fail. This has already been reported to Squarespace, but if you spot an issue like this, it's a good idea to report it directly to Squarespace Customer Care. You can do this using this link.

As a workaround, you should be able to add your 'Basic plan' video using the Vimeo Embed Data instead of the URL (see the example below).

add-vimeo-video-with-embed.thumb.gif.2fd533e92c7a12c7aeb040fd01cc4016.gif

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived