Members Area - Member Email Address change

Go to solution Solved by MaryPhilip_,

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Members Area - Member Email Address change
  • Solution

Memberships are linked to Customer Accounts. Squarespace's support article says:

"Customers needing to update their email address should create a new account. 

It isn’t possible to change a customer’s email address or password on their behalf."

Hope this helps!

Hi 👋 I'm a Squarespace Expert Member, Circle Member & only Squarespace Authorised Trainer in Scotland. Check out my portfolio at Mary Philip.

Hit the little 👍 if I've helped.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, Archipelago88 said:

That is a real shortcoming when it comes to the new membership option, as they would have to cancel their subscription then reapply and ask for a refund on their initial subscription?

Agreed. There are a lot of features missing in Members Area.

• 3 weeks later...

The response answered the question, but is NOT a solution.  This needs to be available for our customers to change their email.  If they create a new account they lose all their previous order history.

If they are not able to change their email and are forced to create a new account, can their previous orders be moved to their new account?

I'm sure this must be a loss of earnings for websites that have subscriptions (customers don't re-subscribe), I'm glad I don't.

Squarespace you need to resolve this now!

Does anyone know if Shopify has this issue?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

👋 Hi there, @jai.cheswick. Ward from MemberSpace here. 

We're a third-party tool that offers solutions for more complex membership sites. Is there anything we can help with? 

Your members can easily change their email using MemberSpace. We even offer Member Account FAQs, with answers to commonly asked questions your members will have about their account. 

Please visit our website if you'd like to check and compare some of the other important features we offer. 

Let us know if you have any questions! 

• 1 month later...

This is a terrible "solution".  Changing a customer's email address should be basic functionality that Squarespace provides, we shouldn't have to pay another $29/mo for a 3rd-party integration to be able to do this (esp. not when Squarespace is already more expensive than other similar platforms). 

My customers are on a subscription plan so they would need to cancel their subscription just to change their email address, and then there is the risk they won't bother resubscribing.   

• 4 months later...

A new subscriber to my member area entered the wrong email address, and needs to change it. They've tried on their end but only seem to be able to edit their name or password.

I can't seem to access anything other than what mailing list they can belong to on the back end in the marketing section of my site.

Is there a way to edit email addresses manually? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On 3/16/2022 at 1:25 PM, Meg_C said:

A new subscriber to my member area entered the wrong email address, and needs to change it. Is there a way to edit email addresses manually?

No, it cannot be changed. If a customer mistyped their email address when signing up, and they therefore never received an email asking them to confirm their email address, they will not be able to correct it, because they will never be able to logon to their account.  To resolve this, the first subscription must be cancelled/refunded and the customer can then start a new one with the correct details, or you can request a change by Squarespace's Trust and Safety team, which will take around 4-6 weeks.

Update 03 March 2023: If a customer has mistyped their email address, this is still true today. However, if a customer verified their email address on your website and later want to change it, they can now update their email address associated with their account from the account panel.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Meg_C

Your members can easily do that with MemberSpace. 

Each of your members will get access to a unique account panel where they can update their personal information. This customizable panel contains their profile, billing information, and plans they are on. 

We've also created a series of Member Account FAQs to make it easier for you and your members. 

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help out!

• 1 month later...

I desperately need to be able to change member's emails. It's pretty embarrassing when a customer reaches out to me to change their member area email, and I tell them that they'll need to create a new account. This leads to me needing to send them a discount code for a free membership area purchase, and it's just a huge ordeal that should be a simple feature. Please make this a possibility, it makes my business look quite unprofessional, which makes me want to reconsider using Squarespace for my business. 

On 5/24/2022 at 4:00 PM, calebclausing said:

I desperately need to be able to change member's emails.

Original post 24 May 2022: I agree with you. It is the same for customer email addresses. Unfortunately, Squarespace don't routinely monitor this forum for feature requests or customer concerns (see the guidelines - item 6) so you'll need to contact Squarespace Customer Care directly to make a feature request.

Update 03 March 2023: If a customer has an account with a verified email on your website, they can now change the email address associated with their account from the account panel.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know if this is ever going to get fixed? Or how I go about finding out. I must have submitted about 10 requests via the customer service.

It's really tough because it feels like a bit of an expensive mountain I have to climb to change from Squarespace to another provider but as we're scaling our business this issue is going to cause more problems. 

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately you are always going to reach a ceiling with packaged suites like Square Space, and largely businesses such as these launch a product having done a lot of research before hand. Once that product is out of the door it is unlikely to get revisited for a while because the cost of making changes  vs launching a new product on a huge number of subscribers makes the case not worth it.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

• 1 year later...

Squarespace made an update! 🎉  Members can now update their email address when they are logged in to their account: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060545811-The-digital-product-member-experience

If a member is having trouble knowing what email they used or if they are having trouble logging in and suspect they may have typed it incorrectly, you can view their account's email by going to Profile > Members. 

.png

Did we help? Click 👍 or mark it as the solution! This helps others find the answers they need. 

Meghan, Owner of Westerly Creative Studio
🐋  We're a Bay Area creative force specializing in Squarespace & Branding Solutions
️  Donations to our
coffee fund help fuel our support
👩‍💻  Need to buy your website policies? Termageddon makes it easy.  
Get 10% off your first year! (< affiliate link)