GA4: Adding a variable parameter to an existing event

I recently created a Google Tag Manager variable for my client's website that is successfully firing. (It helps identify which client account is logged in and navigating the site without revealing any personal information.)

I would like to surface that variable as a parameter for GA4's standard "page_view" event, but I can't figure out how. Has anyone had luck with this?

I can create a whole new event via GTM solely to surface the variable, but I would rather pass it as a parameter inside "page_view".

I have been trying to figure out a way to identify the variable in the "New value" field, but it doesn't seem to work.

1106189632_ScreenShot2021-02-03at11_25_18.thumb.png.741dc793fb366acfbc260fc64a657ace.png

Suggestions that don't involve creating an event solely for the variable?

• Replies 2
  • Views 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would post that in the Google Forums and hope that Simo Ahava takes a bite! I know only that GA4 event configuration is a different tag, but that possibly has nothing to do with what you are asking.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Archived