Form Block: Email going to spam when replying to form submission email

Likely causes are to do with mail settings in your Client. Possible you will need to make sure you are sending your mail using the SMTP server for your domain.  Ask whoever gives you the email address functionality.

Then you can add domain name records to you domain to fix this problem with these links.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/174124?hl=en
https://rejoiner.com/resources/email-authentication/

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Form Block: Email going to spam when replying to form submission email
  • 9 months later...

Has there been any progress with figuring out this issue. My client is getting very frustrated that she is replying back to inquires and not hearing back only to get repeat submissions on her forms complaining that people haven't heard back from her. She is using a basic gmail address and the replies end up caught in spam regardless of the device or email client she responds from.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 5.45.14 PM.jpg

@arosado

This is an email issue not an SS issue. However the questions your client is asking might appear to be spam filter trigger words/phrases. I'm thinking some of the words might be too similar to male enhancement spam.

As a test have you tried not including the original form fields and responses in the reply?

The device or program your client uses would not have an effect on how the receiving email server/client is deciding to classify an email as spam.

Another thought occurs. Given that it is a Gmail address it is possible that the address has been used before, for spamming purposes and has ended up on a blacklist. As a test you could set up a test gmail address, copy the form on a hidden page, change the form email submission address, use the form, and see if you get the same kind of issue.

Let us know what you find out.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 months later...

I've been having the same problem. 

My reply to an email that come in to my hotmail account via Squarespace form almost always end up in the sender's spam folder.

I've found a way to avoid it; I start a new thread with a copy of the original enquiry: rather than responding to their original enquiry via form, I copy and paste their original email at the bottom in my reply.

Our exchanges do not include any weird words and sound nothing like spams. Also this way my replies reach to their inboxes, which proves nothing to do with the content in the emails.

I wish I could just reply to their original email as this is a little extra work.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve been having this same issue for years.  I have a personal website and use my personal gmail account that I’ve been using for nearly fifteen years.  All replies i send to customers that contact me via the form submission on my website go directly to spam.  I have yet to find a fix.  I hear many people say “this is an email issue” and not a Squarespace issue, but it ONLY happen with clients who contact me via the squarespace form.  It’s absolutely costing me work and I would love to find an actual solution.

2 minutes ago, EMRS said:

I am having the same issue.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue. I can't say for sure we can help but I'd like to see how my email responds to your reply to a test form submission I make on your site.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 months later...

This has also been happening to me when I reply directly to a form submission from my Squarespace website. seems my replies have ended up in junk/spam folders and are getting missed.

I have missed out now on a big project which is really frustrating which made me google the issue and find this thread.

Has anyone figured out the reason why replies to contact form submission are going to spam folders?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

hello I have managed to solve it with a workaround. If you are using gmail as client, go to settings - all settings - filters and blocked addresses - create a filter for the address form-submission@squarespace.com and select - never send it to spam.

test once. this applies to receiving mails from squarespace not replying.

hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I just realized this is happening to our email replies to customers who've used the contact form on our Squarespace site. I figured it out because we lost an over $5,300 sale when a customer who placed the order and then reached out to ask a question, got suspicious when he wasn't hearing back from me. I use a Gmail email account and he does as well. I had replied to him a couple of times, but my answers had gone to his junk mail, so he thought I was non-responsive and possibly a fraudulent site. Likewise, I was beginning to get suspicious that the purchase was fraudulent, because the customer wasn't responding to my replies to him.

He ended up canceling the sale, so I'm pretty upset over the loss. Now I wonder how many of my replies to people over the past have gone into those customers' junk mail folders and how many sales losses have resulted from that perceived lack of response.

This doesn't happen all the time, obviously, because I do communicate back and forth with many customers who've initiated the conversation via our contact form. 

Can you please help? I want to do whatever I can to understand how to fix this issue, whether it be in my Squarespace site settings or in my gmail account. 

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. www.archangelsteel.com is my site.

Edited by ArchangelSteel
1 hour ago, ArchangelSteel said:

Thank you! I responded.

Me too!

Folks. That particular email came through with no issue so not much for me to see.

I'll reiterate some points. There are no settings to be set to fix these issues on your Squarespace site. Once a form is submitted, converted to an email, it leaves SS's email server and it is out of SS's hands at that point. SS can not influence that email once it leaves their servers. Email is much like postal mail. A letter moves through the system going from point to point until it reaches the destination. The sender is not responsible for what happens to the letter once they've put it in the mail.

If you are having emails ending up in your junk/spam, there are usually ways to mark them as not junk/spam in your email client software. Or you may be able set up a filter as @ViktorB suggests. Of course this only helps you. I check my junk/spam folder every several days.

1 hour ago, creedon said:

Me too!

Folks. That particular email came through with no issue so not much for me to see.

I'll reiterate some points. There are no settings to be set to fix these issues on your Squarespace site. Once a form is submitted, converted to an email, it leaves SS's email server and it is out of SS's hands at that point. SS can not influence that email once it leaves their servers. Email is much like postal mail. A letter moves through the system going from point to point until it reaches the destination. The sender is not responsible for what happens to the letter once they've put it in the mail.

If you are having emails ending up in your junk/spam, there are usually ways to mark them as not junk/spam in your email client software. Or you may be able set up a filter as @ViktorB suggests. Of course this only helps you. I check my junk/spam folder every several days.

In the interest of other people being helped by our correspondence:

Thank you! 

Yes, I already did that, because when I realized we may have lost a lot of sales over this issue, I was pretty desperate to get a bandage on problem quickly, so I edited the "Contact" form to ask folks to check their spam/junk folders if they don't hear back from us.
I really appreciate you taking the time to try to troubleshoot this with me. 🙂

I'm guessing that if instead of just hitting the "Reply" on a contact form generated email to my gmail, I copy their email address over to a new email I generate myself, it might also prevent my answer from getting hung up in their junk/spam folders. Crossed fingers!
Losing an over $5,000 sale really stings.
  • 3 months later...

I would like to join the chorus of Squarespace customers on here who are losing sales due to my replies going to spam on most emails I receive from the SS form submission.

The response that this is an email issue and not a squarespace issue seems to be willfully disregarding the fact that this is a recurring problem specific to emails that originate from the Squarespace contact form submissions.  This is clearly a squarespace issue since it only happens with emails that originate on SS sites and it is clearly affecting a lot of SS customers.  I would love to see an actual solution here.

This happened to me twice just yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add that I'm experiencing the same issue and have been for over a year.  I've lost countless jobs before I realized what was happening, and have been trying to solve the issue for months with no success.

I can second that my emails only go to spam when I'm replying to a new Squarespace form submission.  I've done all the troubleshooting and have tried countless fixes with no success.  My reply's don't go to spam 100% of the time, but they do the vast majority of the time, and there's no discernible difference in the content of the emails.  

I didn't have this issue before sometime in the winter of 2022, and it's been an ongoing problem ever since.  The only possible thing I can narrow it down to at this point in time is that there's some problem with the Squarespace contact form, and would LOVE to know that the squarespace team is working on a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have the same issue. Every time I reply to a message coming from the contact form on my SS site, the reply goes to hre client’s spam. I join the others who have argued this must be in some way connected to SS as it happens so consistently to so many of us. 

I also noticed the issue only started at the end or 2022- I’ve had a website on SS for years and never had this issue before. I’d really like to se SS taking this more seriously and helping solve it, as it is costing us business and time.

I’ve started contacting people on linkedin to let them know I’ve replied to their inquiry- and all of them later find my message in spam. It’s such a waste of time and frankly looks so unprofessional. 

I'm in the same camp team. I have noticed over the last year or so that my replies to form submissions have been going to clients spam folders.  I have added to my form submission asking for peoples phone number just so I can txt them to check their spam folder, however not a great solution as not everyone likes to supply their contact number. More than half the time the client has confirmed that it has gone to their spam. This problem does not happen once a direct email is established with the same client which implies yet again that it is SS form submission related problem. 

I have definitely lost clients over the last year or so over this issue which I'm gutted about.  I'm a wedding photographer, so just one loss of a single inquiry due to spam is the equivalent of roughly $5000. All very well to say check your spam everyday... however, I know a majority of people including my clients don't. Hopefully the more people who share their experience here will help urge SS to take this problem seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue as discussed above. This started happening end of 2023, prior to that when I replied to form submissions the replies did not go to spam. Now they almost always do. I am using the same gmail address I've been using for a couple years. 

Has a resolution been found? 

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I've been having the same issue thinking all me leads are ghosting me for some reason, however I think the best solution would be just compose a new email by copying your clients email address sent with SS submission form and start a new email chain from there instead of just replying to the submission email (maybe the subject on the email is filtered to suspicious to your client's email address).

Hope it makes sense from my logic.