Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Why Doesn't SS allow us delete/manage our own imported images?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have fund I have hundred images on the imported section, and I can not delete them....

This article may shed some light on this subject: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace

This issue is HUGE — creating a site often involves replacing images, switching images in and out (for various reasons). We have a handoff approaching that we are desperate to delete many images that

Posted Images

There have been several threads on this in this forum. SS currently does not support image management.

However if you stop using a particular image, as in no reference to it anywhere on your site it will eventually be deleted.

I suggest you search the forums for other threads on this topic.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as best , and see my profile. Thanks for your support!

Link to post

I don't really see an advantage to having management. I have had it with a number of hosting sites, and some unfavorable things come along with that ability. Like files have to be smaller, can't add an image directly to your site  unless it is in your library  storage first, sorry you have run out of space, you have reached your maximum number of files, you must remove some before adding more or upgrade your plan. That sort of thing. Squarespace has their own compression and storage methods and when using  image search you are seeing a facsimile of an image on your site, not an actual file itself. You cannot delete what doesn't exist  and if you could, what if that image was posted on your site and you accidentally hit delete?  There are a lot of things to consider here. I don't use that search function, It can be helpful but I choose to use a very nice Sony free image management program that sorts, creates folders, has editing functions,  and allows me to easily upload to Squarespace.

Edited by derricksrandomviews
Link to post
22 hours ago, creedon said:

There have been several threads on this in this forum. SS currently does not support image management.

However if you stop using a particular image, as in no reference to it anywhere on your site it will eventually be deleted.

I suggest you search the forums for other threads on this topic.

interesting, but in fact i deleted some pages which included "outdated" images for months, but still, these images are still at "imported" tab...

Link to post
3 hours ago, xing said:

interesting, but in fact i deleted some pages which included "outdated" images for months, but still, these images are still at "imported" tab...

Eventually is the keyword. 😀 That is the theory anyway! No one but SS knows what formula they use to decide when to delete the images.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as best , and see my profile. Thanks for your support!

Link to post
10 minutes ago, creedon said:

Eventually is the keyword. 😀 That is the theory anyway! No one but SS knows what formula they use to decide when to delete the images.

that's interesting, mysterious~maybe someone from the SS team could explain for us, for instance based on what principle (e.g. file size? date?)

Link to post
On 1/27/2021 at 9:35 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

I don't really see an advantage to having management. I have had it with a number of hosting sites, and some unfavorable things come along with that ability. Like files have to be smaller, can't add an image directly to your site  unless it is in your library  storage first, sorry you have run out of space, you have reached your maximum number of files, you must remove some before adding more or upgrade your plan. That sort of thing. Squarespace has their own compression and storage methods and when using  image search you are seeing a facsimile of an image on your site, not an actual file itself. You cannot delete what doesn't exist  and if you could, what if that image was posted on your site and you accidentally hit delete?  There are a lot of things to consider here. I don't use that search function, It can be helpful but I choose to use a very nice Sony free image management program that sorts, creates folders, has editing functions,  and allows me to easily upload to Squarespace.

No advantages of having control over our own files?

Files have to be smaller - uploading huge files equals longer loading times.
Storage problems - again slow loading time with huge files, or if you have many images good luck managing or finding them without a management system.
If someone accidentally hit delete and them accidentally hit confirm.... well that person is a moron.

All this is just an excuse for lazy coding, bad management. 

It's ridiculous not to be able to delete or at least organise imported files at all.

Link to post

 

I think that the conception is that squarespace works like one big hard drive and stores images in a standard fashion like many website hosting companies or like you would for yourself on your own device. That is not the way it works. Let me paraphrase how they do it.

When you upload an image, Squarespace stores multiple sizes. Each size version is assigned a specific static URL so browsers can reload the images more quickly each time someone revisits a page. This helps your site’s performance globally, improves page loading times, and helps your ranking in Google, which uses page speed as a factor in search results. 

If you right-click an image or other file and open it in a new tab, you'll see its URL in your browser's address bar. These URLs start with images.squarespace-cdn.comstatic.squarespace.com, or static1.squarespace.com followed by a string of random characters and the format. For example, the 1000 pixels-wide version of your image will have format=1000w at the end. The format changes based on the size of the browser viewing your site. File URLs can't be customized. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
Link to post

I understand, but let me put it this way: imagine having a computer with unlimited storage capacity but not being able to have any folders, everything(hundreds or thousands of files) are in one place. It would be very difficult to find anything.

 

This lack of organisation is very annoying because squarespace otherwise is the best website builder I have ever used (especially after the new templates rollout). Hope this can be fixed in the future.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

 

I think that the conception is that squarespace works like one big hard drive and stores images in a standard fashion like many website hosting companies or like you would for yourself on your own device. That is not the way it works. Let me paraphrase how they do it.

When you upload an image, Squarespace stores multiple sizes. Each size version is assigned a specific static URL so browsers can reload the images more quickly each time someone revisits a page. This helps your site’s performance globally, improves page loading times, and helps your ranking in Google, which uses page speed as a factor in search results. 

If you right-click an image or other file and open it in a new tab, you'll see its URL in your browser's address bar. These URLs start with images.squarespace-cdn.comstatic.squarespace.com, or static1.squarespace.com followed by a string of random characters and the format. For example, the 1000 pixels-wide version of your image will have format=1000w at the end. The format changes based on the size of the browser viewing your site. File URLs can't be customized. 

That is all achievable with the addition of file management, with a hybrid of "traditional" file management and the current method of handling files. It adds complexity in terms of the systems that manage the files, but really only when a file is modified. A process would need to watch for modification of the source file, which would the kick off the same systems that currently does the image resizing when an image is uploaded.

Link to post

If file management allows the images to be adaptable to whatever screen res, aspect ratio, of the device they are being viewed on, then I would certainly be in favor of it. It would be great for SS to provide that one day.

In the meantime I have my own methods to deal with my images "library" which works well for me. 

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:35 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

I don't really see an advantage to having management. I have had it with a number of hosting sites, and some unfavorable things come along with that ability. Like files have to be smaller, can't add an image directly to your site  unless it is in your library  storage first, sorry you have run out of space, you have reached your maximum number of files, you must remove some before adding more or upgrade your plan. That sort of thing. Squarespace has their own compression and storage methods and when using  image search you are seeing a facsimile of an image on your site, not an actual file itself. You cannot delete what doesn't exist  and if you could, what if that image was posted on your site and you accidentally hit delete?  There are a lot of things to consider here. I don't use that search function, It can be helpful but I choose to use a very nice Sony free image management program that sorts, creates folders, has editing functions,  and allows me to easily upload to Squarespace.

This opinion seems really odd to me.

Of course, I want to be able to control, organize, add and delete my image assets. Having odd images that are no longer used, or are the wrong version, in my image library wastes space and time. A good file management system, allowing me to create directories and otherwise organize my images would be a HUGE benefit.

Link to post

This issue is HUGE — creating a site often involves replacing images, switching images in and out (for various reasons). We have a handoff approaching that we are desperate to delete many images that have been uploaded and do NOT want to hand if off with those images in the library. Is a resolution in the works? This has to be a priority. 

Jan & Susan
admin + design
janandsusan.com

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment


×
×
  • Create New...