• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Summary Block - remove link / redirect link

nikki1

Question

Site URL: https://www.cassiecameron.com.au/home

Is there a way to either turn the link off on a Summary block or redirect / override it?  The Latest Workshops block on this site is created pulling from a blog - but this has purely been because we liked the css of the copy lightbox on hover.  However I want it to point to a blank page instead of the individual blog posts.  Thanks

11 answers to this question

If you would like the Summary Block tiles to link to other areas of the site, you can set the URLs as required so that another page loads instead of the blog post. To do this:

1. Edit the Blog Post that you've used for the tile.
  2. Click the Options tab.
  3. Type the URL in the Source URL box.
  4. Check the Post Title should link to Source URL checkbox.
  5. Save the Post.

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:05 PM, paul2009 said:

If you would like the Summary Block tiles to link to other areas of the site, you can set the URLs as required so that another page loads instead of the blog post. To do this:

1. Edit the Blog Post that you've used for the tile.
  2. Click the Options tab.
  3. Type the URL in the Source URL box.
  4. Check the Post Title should link to Source URL checkbox.
  5. Save the Post.

Hi @paul2009 Is there a way to do that for the Thumbnail as well? Right now that thumbnail uses the original link.

@RolandFuseHub

Please post the URL for the summary block on your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as best , and see my profile. Thanks for your support!

8 minutes ago, creedon said:

@RolandFuseHub

Please post the URL for the summary block on your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Hi @creedon

Example: https://www.sqsmods.com/blog/ (First Post is the one I am playing with)

The Read More points to an updated URL based on @paul2009 tip. But the Thumbnail redirects to the original post.

Thanks,

Roland

Edited by RolandFuseHub
Typo
1 hour ago, RolandFuseHub said:

Is there a way to [redirect the link on] the Thumbnail as well? Right now that thumbnail uses the original link.

It's strange that Squarespace didn't update the title and the thumbnail, because that's what you'd expect them to do. However, I reported this as a bug some years ago and they did not consider it to be one 🙃.

As always, there's a simple workaround and a more complex one.

• Simple: You can a line of CSS to disable clicking/tapping ("pointer events") on the thumbnail, preventing visitors from reaching the original URL.
  • More complex: JavaScript can be written to remove the old link and wrap the entire summary item (including the thumbnail) in the updated URL.

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

29 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

It's strange that Squarespace didn't update the title and the thumbnail, because that's what you'd expect them to do. However, I reported this as a bug some years ago and they did not consider it to be one 🙃.

As always, there's a simple workaround and a more complex one.

• Simple: You can a line of CSS to disable clicking/tapping ("pointer events") on the thumbnail, preventing visitors from reaching the original URL.
  • More complex: JavaScript can be written to remove the old link and wrap the entire summary item (including the thumbnail) in the updated URL.

Thanks @paul2009 I will start the Google machine and see if I can find these workarounds. If you have a lead, that would be much appreciated. 

Have a great day and stay safe!