Summary Block - remove link / redirect link

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

If you would like the Summary Block tiles to link to other areas of the site, you can set the URLs as required so that another page loads instead of the blog post. To do this:

1. Edit the Blog Post that you've used for the tile.
  2. Click the Options tab.
  3. Type the URL in the Source URL box.
  4. Check the Post Title should link to Source URL checkbox.
  5. Save the Post.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 1:05 PM, paul2009 said:

If you would like the Summary Block tiles to link to other areas of the site, you can set the URLs as required so that another page loads instead of the blog post. To do this:

5. Save the Post.

Hi @paul2009 Is there a way to do that for the Thumbnail as well? Right now that thumbnail uses the original link.

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

@RolandFuseHub

Please post the URL for the summary block on your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

8 minutes ago, creedon said:

@RolandFuseHub

Please post the URL for the summary block on your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Hi @creedon

Example: https://www.sqsmods.com/blog/ (First Post is the one I am playing with)

The Read More points to an updated URL based on @paul2009 tip. But the Thumbnail redirects to the original post.

Thanks,

Roland

Edited by RolandFuseHub
Typo

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

1 hour ago, RolandFuseHub said:

Is there a way to [redirect the link on] the Thumbnail as well? Right now that thumbnail uses the original link.

It's strange that Squarespace didn't update the title and the thumbnail, because that's what you'd expect them to do. However, I reported this as a bug some years ago and they did not consider it to be one 🙃.

As always, there's a simple workaround and a more complex one.

• Simple: You can a line of CSS to disable clicking/tapping ("pointer events") on the thumbnail, preventing visitors from reaching the original URL.
  • More complex: JavaScript can be written to remove the old link and wrap the entire summary item (including the thumbnail) in the updated URL.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

29 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

It's strange that Squarespace didn't update the title and the thumbnail, because that's what you'd expect them to do. However, I reported this as a bug some years ago and they did not consider it to be one 🙃.

As always, there's a simple workaround and a more complex one.

• Simple: You can a line of CSS to disable clicking/tapping ("pointer events") on the thumbnail, preventing visitors from reaching the original URL.
  • More complex: JavaScript can be written to remove the old link and wrap the entire summary item (including the thumbnail) in the updated URL.

Thanks @paul2009 I will start the Google machine and see if I can find these workarounds. If you have a lead, that would be much appreciated. 

Have a great day and stay safe!

@RolandFuseHub

Actually hold off on installing the code. It looks as though SS updated the underlying blog structure so I'll need to make a minor update. I'll post a heads up when done on the other cited thread.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

20 minutes ago, creedon said:

@RolandFuseHub

Actually hold off on installing the code. It looks as though SS updated the underlying blog structure so I'll need to make a minor update. I'll post a heads up when done on the other cited thread.

OK...

@creedon beats me, but on 7.1 that link change, works now for the Thumbnail and the actual link... problem solved. Thanks for your responses though.

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, paul2009 said:

5. Save the Post.

AMAZING! Problem Solved!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!