Different price display VAT charge and price display - UK vs international sales

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

client's main business is in UK, and now needs to show full price on website, but remove the included tax for sales in EU.

It is possible to charge VAT to UK customers and not charge VAT to European customers, but it depends on which price your client wants to appear beside the products.

For example, if a product is £100 plus VAT, do they want to display "£100 + VAT" or "£120"?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. 

I need some help with a similar issue.

I sell mainly books (zero-rated in the UK). VAT for books in the EU is generally at special rates.

So after July I will need to be able to charge different VAT rates for different items to the same country (eg: in France a T-shirt is 20%, but a book is 5.5%). 

As above, I'm happy showing total price (inc. VAT). 

I will also need to be able to download and print a packing slip showing the VAT rates for each item. 

Are these things going to be possible / can you please explain how?

With thanks

Max

(IsolaPress.com)

2 hours ago, IsolaPress said:

I will need to be able to charge different VAT rates for different items to the same country (eg: in France a T-shirt is 20%, but a book is 5.5%).

This is a slightly different issue.

Squarespace can’t do this yet, because it does not support different VAT rates for different products, even within the same country. It’s one of the limitations I posted here in 2018 (the list is kept up-to-date).

Edited by paul2009
Link updated

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

2 hours ago, paul2009 said:

This is a slightly different issue.

Squarespace can’t do this yet, because it does not support different VAT rates for different products, even within the same country. It’s one of the limitations I posted here in 2018 (the list is kept up-to-date).

Thanks for the reply Paul. 

There was no link to the list? I'd definitely like to see it if possible.

Does anyone know if this is likely to change / if it's something they are looking at? I will have to consider moving platform if not…

1 hour ago, IsolaPress said:

There was no link to the list? I'd definitely like to see it if possible. Does anyone know if this is likely to change / if it's something they are looking at?

I've updated the post.

Squarespace does not recognise product categories that have special tax rates but Squarespace said recently they “plan to support these features in the near future”.

Edited by paul2009

• 1 month later...

In our store we need to add and display prices including 20% VAT for UK.   For international sales we don't charge VAT  so price displayed in shop should be without VAT.

Example: if item is £25 exc VAT then international visitors should see £25 displayed in shop but UK customers should see £30 displayed.

It seems there are currently only 2 price display options, prices include Tax, but this does not seem to work as I'd expect because all countries including UK see same price in shop.

The other option, prices exclude Tax, show correct international price of £25 in shop, but also shows £25 in shop for UK and doesn't add VAT until checkout.  This would be fine for wholesale but we are retail and must show the UK price including VAT in the shop pages and not wait until checkout page.

Every ecommerce platform we've used over the years we just enter prices excluding tax, fill in tax info for regions of the world and prices in shop are always shown including the relevent tax, not adding until checkout is too late.

Is there a plugin or some code that we can obtain to correct this short term until squarespace hopefully correct this.

Thanks for reading and hope someone can help.

• 1 month later...
  • Susana_SQSP changed the title to Different price display VAT charge and price display - UK vs international sales
  • 2 months later...

Hi - I run a UK store using SS. I sell to UK customer and overseas - EU and Global.

How can i set up the store to display the inc VAT price to UK customer, BUT remove UK VAT at checkout for customer selecting shipping to countries outside of the UK - this is critical to being able to sell outside the UK - it must be possible? right?

thanks

I've been trying to figure this - but it seems that even when i add a custom tax rate of 0% for another country outside the UK - it just shows 0% tax against the tax field at checkout - but doesn't actually deduct the UK VAT from the product price to enable check out of the product minus 20% UK VAT - it essentially still charges them the full inc VAT price. Help!!

Edited by AdamRMNC

@paul2009 Would it be possible for you to advise on how i can resolve the original question on this thread? I have a UK based store, (VAT registered) I need to charge UK customers UK VAT at 20% - show inc VAT pricing.  But for EU and international customers i need to be able to remove the UK VAT so that they are charged ex-VAT at check out. can this be done? 

Have a product launch on Friday so desparately trying to resolve so that i can sell outside the UK! 

thanks in advance - any workarounds welcome!

1 hour ago, AdamRMNC said:

Would it be possible for you to advise on how i can resolve the original question on this thread? 

I need to:

• charge UK customers UK VAT at 20%
  • Show inc VAT pricing
  • For EU and international customers I need to be able to remove the UK VAT

Sure.

In summary, Squarespace works the way you've described, but only if you show ex-VAT prices. If you show inc-VAT prices, it does not.

When VAT inclusive prices are shown, Squarespace does not handle VAT correctly for different taxable locations. Your '£120 inc-VAT' product will be charged at £120 regardless of the country; Squarespace will just adjust the proportion of the price that is tax.

VAT exclusive prices

If you go to Commerce > Taxes and choose 'Add at checkout' VAT won't be included on product pages. They'll show ex-VAT prices. VAT will be added at the checkout for the taxable locations you specify.

how-tax-is-added-add-at-checkout.thumb.png.8fd2ba55185a7ae0ecf61058a0313e55.png  taxable-locations.thumb.png.308d12d6d0ae58940c336848fec75edd.png

For example, if you add the UK as a 'taxable location' then VAT will only be added on the checkout page when the billing/delivery address in the UK. If Spain is selected, VAT will not be added. Here's an example:

vat-removed-vat-exclusive.gif.0e17af84b8f63febafee783925f67e77.gif

However, if you select 'Include in price' to show VAT inclusive prices, it all falls apart. Here's the same example with VAT-inclusive prices shown.

price-is-the-same-checkout-vat-inclusive.gif.c47ae4c63fb1bd36bd0b0b6645d5c80a.gif

I hope this explanation helps.

If this helps, please click "Like" below ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

@paul2009 Thank you for your timely advice. Very much appreciated!

Feels like it will work for a short term workaround (which is exactly what i needed RN) - However, not ideal that the SquareSpace product does not properly support UK based e-comm stores to be able to display inc-VAT pricing for UK customer in store and serve EU/Intl sales. (I might have to put the inc VAT price in the product description as a temp measure.)

I do appreciate your time to resolve my immediate issue though - thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

@paul2009 Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Do you believe there is a workaround for when you select 'Include in price' so that VAT is deducted from the total price if the country is non-UK? Is there a plug-in available? 

If not, there is no other option than moving from Squarespace entirely because we sell worldwide and this is a very important feature we must have.

10 minutes ago, meri_char said:

Do you believe there is a workaround for when you select 'Include in price' so that VAT is deducted from the total price if the country is non-UK? Is there a plug-in available? 

Sadly, taxes are managed in an area of the platform that we cannot access. For this reason, we cannot produce any third party code ("plugins") that can change the way taxes are charged. This is something that Squarespace must resolve. I know it's on their radar but you can encourage them by raising a feature request through Squarespace Customer CareSquarespace doesn’t use this forum to track limitations or feature requests.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 1 month later...