removing /video URL slug?

Site URL: https://dolphin-walrus-s2aw.squarespace.com/

Hi! I have a collection page (blog-icon-page, see images) for videos that I want to remove the URL slug of. 

I'm moving from an old wordpress website where the posts were just: "website.com/url-of-post-with-video"  and to I'd like to keep all my old links going in, but having my new posts with each video being the same in squarespace, but still have an overview-page.    Currently, If I do like this all my videos get "website.com/video/url-of-post-with-video" and that will break all older links coming in (?)..,

I still want to be able to have "featured video" blocks which seems to be the main reason to keep the current collection pages, plus the format is very easy to create video-posts fast..

Anybody have any solution or tips?

Could I make the blog-page the main page of the website to avoid this issue? (the home page?)

2021-01-15 09_29_06-— 3D Print Tech Design.jpg

2021-01-15 09_29_30-Videos — 3D Print Tech Design.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Views 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blog post URLs always begin with the Blog Page URL slug. You can choose the name of this, but you cannot remove it. Making the page the homepage will not change the url of posts.

If your old blog didn’t have the blog name as part of the URL slug, you can create URL redirects to forward visitors away from urls that don't exist to the new ones.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

If the post titles are the same but the URL structure is different, you can create a single redirect rule for all blog posts, like this:

/[name] -> /videos/[name] 301

The [name] variable tells Squarespace to substitute the post URL for each blog post.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

If I make it like this, will I still be able to do individual URL redirects for other structures that don't need the /videos rule?

On 1/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, paul2009 said:

If the post titles are the same but the URL structure is different, you can create a single redirect rule for all blog posts, like this:

/[name] -> /videos/[name] 301

The [name] variable tells Squarespace to substitute the post URL for each blog post.

23 minutes ago, 3DpTD said:

If I make it like this, will I still be able to do individual URL redirects for other structures that don't need the /videos rule?

Redirects are activated from top to bottom, so higher redirects will take priority over conflicting redirects below them. If you have specific redirects, place them above broader redirects that may conflict (for example, the main Blog Page).

Archived