How to add a Forum to my Squarespace Site

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.ghoulsmagazine.com

Hello,

my website https://www.ghoulsmagazine.com

has a members area. As part of the paid membership, i’d like to offer users access to a community / chat service, where people can chat in different groups but also 1 to 1.

Could anybody please recommend a platform that integrates well with Squarespace and which will be able to accommodate this?

Thank you so much for your help!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Solution

Squarespace do not offer a forum feature at this time, and I think it is unlikely they will add one anytime soon because there are a range of third party forum platforms available. 

For example, Squarespace built this forum using Invision Community using a subdomain ("forum.") of their main URL. You can also use a third party service like this to create a forum using a subdomain of domain you use for your Squarespace website. There are many other third party forum providers including Discourse and Flarum.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

I asked for help to the SS help center and here is their response - so disapointing.  

Are Forums easy to integrate with SS ? And how to do that?

Since this would need to be done using custom code, while you're welcome to use custom code to modify your site, we highly recommend that you have coding knowledge before attempting custom code solutions. Due to their complex nature, we're unable to offer assistance or troubleshooting for code modifications.

Adding code to your site may cause unwanted results when interacting with our platform, templates, or updates we release. To learn more, visit our Custom code FAQ:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/216107348

Our forum is another great resource:

http://forum.squarespace.com

The forum is an online community of Squarespace users who help each other with more complex, code-related solutions. If you can't find an existing post that answers your question exactly, I'd recommend creating an account and posting your question.

By experience could you tell me what forum work WELL integrated with SS ? For security reasons, I don't want to have to download any forum software to my Mac. Also the free software seems too good to be true.

We wouldn't be able to say if any forum would work well, since you'll need to modify the site with custom code we can't guarantee it's functionality within Squarespace.

I hope you found the information provided today helpful, if you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us. Our support team is available 24/7 to help.

Ahahaha !

It would be great Paul, if you could explain step by step how to integrate the INVISION COMMUNITY (for instance) into a site - and more specifically a member area. 

> How to create a subdomain ("forum.") of their main URL. How do you actually do that ? 

> And how to do that in the context of a gated Member Area: How to keep the forum for the members only ? Are my members gonna be forced to create another account on Invision? Or can the member list of the member area and the one of the forum match automatically. ? How is this mess gonna work.... 

Many thanks for your support ! 

Edited by Olivier75
8 minutes ago, Olivier75 said:

It would be great Paul, if you could explain step by step how to integrate the INVISION COMMUNITY (for instance) into a site - and more specifically a member area. 

> How to create a subdomain ("forum.") of their main URL. How do you actually do that ? 

The steps to create a subdomain will depend on your domain provider. If your domain is provided by Squarespace, this guide should help: Creating a subdomain for your Squarespace domain. If it is provided by someone else, you'll want to contact them for details.

10 minutes ago, Olivier75 said:

how to do that in the context of a gated Member Area: How to keep the forum for the members only ? Are my members gonna be forced to create another account on Invision?

Users would need an account on Invision that is separate from Squarespace, unless you deploy a Single Sign On (SSO) solution, although this would require you to have a good understanding of the technologies involved. It's somewhat more complex than I could explain here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

10 minutes ago, Olivier75 said:

I hope I can sort out the SSO thing.... I will also. contact SS for that.

Squarespace don't provide the SSO option - unless you're on an Enterprise plan ($1000+ per month). 

• 3 months later...

I am thinking of using the blog feature to have guided chats between members… they couldn’t start their own, but could easily highjack the directed conversation. 
I have only just begun designing my members area so haven’t checked how this work. Has anyone tried the blog function to do this?

4 hours ago, skhow said:

I’ve just heard of MemberSpace. Might be an option that apparently integrates with Squarespace sites. 

I think you're on to something.

This is exactly what I've been looking for, i think. Do you know anyone actively using MemberSpace? Appears like a simple integration, but I'm curious if its as easy as it appears.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Please see the answer above.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The tags I need aren't available - I want to create a forum for my sight - I chose Squarespace for its member area options, but there's no way for people to engage with content there - it's not a members area, it's gated content. I'm really gutted having spent months trying to get our content moved across in my spare time.  

I really need some pointers for creating a forum or, better still, somewhere we can post content and create discussions around it.

I realise it'll push my costs up, which I'm cheesed about, but I've already promised this to vistims of grooming and their families. All of us will thank you for any help/suggestions

• 1 month later...

I want to bump this topic. We're having the same issues. A few things desperately needed on Squarespace. 

1. Ability to directly integrate a forum. We should have a plugin/template for this. We've been struggling to find a seamless solution to this and just doesn't seem possible. Embedding doesn't work and subdomain is causing other issues.

2. General password for Member Areas, this could be used for guest passes, moderator or technical access.

3. Direct integration with Patreon. 

• 1 month later...

I have also resorted to creating a navigation link to an external forum solution provider. Squarespace does not seem to want to get into the business of developing community-based solutions for their web page business. I guess their competitors are Etsy-like sellers, not people who build a community. It kind of makes the whole "profile" mean nothing more than a paid service or item purchase/shipped solution provider. I mean, their blogging comes close to a level of interaction, but beyond that? I don't think they see any value in it for them.