How to avoid duplicate posts from Blog and other Summary blocks, on landing page

Site URL: http://www.ps-esports.com

Hi all,

I am trying to create a dedicated block on my landing page, to highlight a recently published post. Just underneath this post will be the usual Basic Grid Blog. The problem is that, the recently published post is showing both in the highlighted summary block and also the Basic Grid Blog. Is there a way to achieve the desired result while avoiding the duplicated post?

Thanks,

Michael

• Replies 2
  • Views 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good question. I had the same thing on my site. I don't mind the duplicate post on thepage  sometimes but other times I want the latest one to be by itself at the top of the page and not in the listing. I took care of this by not using the default blog listing at all.

I moved my blog page to the unlinked section of my site and made a new listing by using multiple summary blocks on one page. If you have less than 30 total blog posts, than two blocks is all you will need (summary blocks are a max of 30 posts each). This is where you make good use of categories.

You would category one  block with say the year and the one with the latest post, give it the cat "featured" not the year, this block goes at the top even in your header if you wish. The Featured post will not show up in the main listing any longer. Next new post, simply give the next to newest the "year" cat, remove the "featured" cat, The post moves down to the lisiting block and the new is now the featured one and doesn't show below. Make sense? 

You can also do this to pull blog posts out of the listing and give them their own page if you wish, like having two blogs.

I did this here: https://myrandomviews.com/photography-lessons  This is a summay block as well, all the posts on in my one blog, but you will not see them listied on the "stories" page because I  filter them out from there to the other page. That page is also in the unlinked section, I use a folder in the Nav bar to access those posts.  This works really well. In other words summary blocks are very versitle and can be styled various ways. The can look unique or just like the orignal blog listing. 

I will be glad to assist you with this if you wish. 

Thanks Derrick, for the help and suggestions!I think I get the idea of using multiple summary blocks on one page. Looks like it's going to be a weekend of experimenting and moving things around. 😄 

Pulling blog posts out of the listing and having two blogs is harder to grasp for now I must admit. I probably should work on getting the summary blocks working first.

Appreciate your help!

Archived