Alternative to Google Recaptcha?

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I'm having issues with reCaptcha it sometimes shows, and sometimes shows only on refresh. I just read SS help page which basically says it's not their product, so no support available. What are other people using? What actually happens if you don't use something like reCaptcha? Is there really any danger having spambots sign up? And why do they do that?

@hae

The main reason to use recaptcha is to try to save you the annoyance of having to deal with SPAM bots sending you unwanted form submissions.

Is there really any danger having spambots sign up?

Not as long as you don't engage with the email addresses. But as soon as you send out an email to your list. You are after a fashion engaging. You have told the spammer that there is a live email address out there and they will go after anything they can. Your email gets passed around and now you have more spam bots signing up.

Not fun really.

And why do they do that?

Because there are an endless supply of people out there who fall for send me $50,000 dollars and I'll return your investment with a million $ in a couple of days! I promise!

Even if the recaptcha is only working part of the time it is better than none of the time.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

@hae

Even if the recaptcha is only working part of the time it is better than none of the time.

By the way I'm not implying that you should settle for it working part of the time. I urge you to try to figure out what the issue is to get it working near 100 percent! 😀

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Archived