Default to Members Area log on pop up and hide sign up popup

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://wycombeastro.org

Hi.

I'm wondering if some one can help.

I'm setting up a members area on my site, https://wycombeastro.org, and would like to just display the login pop-up form with no sign up (create) link to the Members area or to create a customer account. The reason why is that the site is for a society for paid members (paid for outside of Squarespace) and I 'm going to create their accounts manually for them to access this area from a password protected sign up page. When I use the Members Area block it always displays the sign up form in the pop-up form and has a "Sign in" link to at the bottom of the login pop-up form.

image.thumb.png.2ebe7a588fc6c8d8ba63504e5a755b6f.png

I would like it to display the login form instead as below.

image.thumb.png.08d469b4881bb0c3c504849e7913dcee.png

I have worked out I can do this by visiting the link, https://www.wycombeastro.org/account/login

image.thumb.png.bb402cf8127665ad58123ee7d9fdb427.png

This is the same link as Squarespace creates in the main navigation and you click the "Sign In" link. However, in this pop-up there is a "Create account" link and for some weird reason if you fill the form in it creates customers accounts not member area accounts like the Members Area Block.

As I didn't want this or for visitors to sign up for members areas, I have manged to hide the navigation with this CSS

#navigation-top nav ul> :nth-child(8) {
 display: none;

}

However, it would be good to have the official navigation link and login pop up minus the "create account" link on it.
Any ideas how to do this?

Note, if I set my custom CSS  "display" value to "block" in  it will show the normal "Sign In" link in the main menu.

image.thumb.png.728de78d4340bf9f9bf619c4b134b506.png

The other  issue I have is if a site visitors enter a protected members page it gives them the option to Join so I need a way to hide this. See screen shot below. I just want to show the sign up pop-up again minus the Create Account link .

image.thumb.png.38aed2c1538cfefe6a53071f1bd2a81d.png

I'm assuming perhaps both of these can be achieved by some custom code that can be added to the page or injected in the page or CCS. Ideally, I would like to be able to create my own custom login page that can be accessed from the main menu and displayed if a visitor tries to access a members area page when not logged on. But to do this I need know the form post url and fields names for username and password text boxes to re-create the Members login pop-up.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

• Solution
1 hour ago, markbpriv said:

I..would like to just display the login pop-up form with no sign up (create) link.

The other issue I have is if a site visitors enter a protected members page it gives them the option to Join so I need a way to hide this. 

I'm assuming perhaps both of these can be achieved by some custom code that can be added to the page or injected in the page.

Unfortunately, the current implementation of 'Member Areas' does not support the configuration that you want. It was built to encourage signups and was not built to accommodate private sites with existing memberships.

Hopefully further features will be added to allow this sort of customisation but, in the meantime, there are no options to change the behaviours or layouts that you describe, and code cannot be used to change them.

This forum is not monitored for product feature requests so you may want to raise these requests with Squarespace Customer Care. They'll document your feedback and share it with the appropriate team. You can reach out to them here.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. I posted here in the Forum and reported to SS.

I now have members logged in but can't log out with out revealing Join option.

Is there are way to log out of Members Area? or create a log-out link?

I have resolved this issue. For this client there was a fixed membership. Once all member have signed up, we disabled all SS join/create functions. So the issue became having access to the Account Panel and Signing out. A simple text link URL /account/login does the trick.

Edited by MJCarp
updated and resolved
On 2/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, Aminoyo said:

@MJCarp how did you end up resolving this?

When you are ready to close membership sign-up, disable all buttons in the header and delete any member area sign up blocks. Create a new Page and put in the Members Area navigation. I titled mine "Account Panel/ Sign Out. Create a section/text block on this page. The text should explain that you are providing link to a member's account panel. Highlight text "Account Panel" and using the Link Editor choose Page and type: "/account/login". 

When a member navigates to their Account Panel, they can now sign out using the  link under their name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have found a solution to hide the join button, which works! This is taken from https://www.squarestylist.com/blog/workarounds

HIDE THE JOIN BUTTON

If you're going to use the Squarespace Member Areas, it's best to set up a free membership space so that you won't have to use its native checkout feature. Still, we'd have to work on safeguarding your premium content by adjusting the settings.

Whenever a person clicks on your member area without an account, they'll be redirected to an Access Denied screen, where they'd be prompted to join if they haven't yet. You'd have to hide this default member sign-up block using CSS and JavaScript so they can't bypass the payment gateway.

All you have to do is add the snippet below to Settings> Code Injection > Footer.

<!--Squarestylist Snippet to Hide Join Button-->
<script>

var sqelem= document.querySelector('#sqs-member-access-page-root .sqs-editable-button');
sqelem.remove();

</script>
<!--END SQSTYLIST JOIN BUTTON-->

Also, don't forget add this code snippet to Custom CSS. Press Cmd+Ctrl + ↓ to immediately get to the very end of your panel.

#sqs-member-access-page-root .sqs-editable-button {
display:none;
}
4 hours ago, Bliss12 said:

I have found a solution to hide the join button, which works!

I think it's important to point out that this is a 'workaround' only, as the author states in their blog post. It's not a solution because it is still possible for visitors to join for free using the default links that are built into the platform.

What we really need is for Squarespace to fix this, so that site owners can choose whether to prevent members of the public joining their Member Areas. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.