Creating a nested menu with an index home page and gallery pages

Site URL: https://www.norfolkislandreef.com.au/

I am using the Avenue template for a website showing hundreds of photos of reef fish, anemones, corals etc. Therefore, I have used galleries: one gallery for the fish, one for the anemones, one for the corals and so on. I want to create an alternative way to navigate to, say, the anemone page or the fish page without having to scroll down to the bottom of what can be a very long page. I've tried using folders, but it doesn't work very well with the type of content. I was wondering if there was code I could inject to create this. Or a side bar option would work as well (it only seems to be available on my blog page). I have the premium service.

I have done a not too satisfactory work around by adding in text with the page links at the top of each page, but it is a bit clunky.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an Avenue user as well.

If you want to use slide shows, then put gallery blocks on a page, set those blocks for slideshow and you can put those page in the standard Avenue index page. You can build these pages in the unlinked section of you site and then drag them to the linked section to an existing index page, a new one or list em on their own. You could also leave them in the unlinked section and create a folder with a drop down menu on the nav bar that has links to those pages. The reason you would need to use gallery blocks as opposed to gallery pages is that gallery pages when viewed from an index the images are always stacked. If standard gallery pages are viewed on their own they will be a slideshow with thumbnails underneath the images. I have gallery pages and slide show blocks grouped on my site. The first five thumnails are slideshows on their own page. The rest are standard gallery pages. 

my random views

Well, I understand but Avenue is not all that flexible to make it look like say brine or york. You can make dramatic changes to the style but you have to stay within its layout parameters. If you don't want a slide show but you want to avoid the long scroll then how about considering a page with a gallery block  set as a grid or wall and those images can also be set for lightbox. Those images would be smaller, same aspect ratio, but  more would be exibited on the page at one time, less scrolling. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, Secret_Brisbane said:

Site URL: https://www.norfolkislandreef.com.au/

I am using the Avenue template for a website showing hundreds of photos of reef fish, anemones, corals etc. Therefore, I have used galleries: one gallery for the fish, one for the anemones, one for the corals and so on. I want to create an alternative way to navigate to, say, the anemone page or the fish page without having to scroll down to the bottom of what can be a very long page. I've tried using folders, but it doesn't work very well with the type of content. I was wondering if there was code I could inject to create this. Or a side bar option would work as well (it only seems to be available on my blog page). I have the premium service.

I have done a not too satisfactory work around by adding in text with the page links at the top of each page, but it is a bit clunky.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi! What about to use anchor link  as the way to control those desired navigations? Check these videos: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/207135178-Creating-anchor-links

Archived