Application Form in Member Areas

Thank you! Still can't figure out how to install the Form Block INTO the Member Area block. Thinking the best user experience would be to click on the button option that's included in the block which will lead to the Application / Form Block but it seems that the button option in the Member Area is very restricted with no option to add a url, etc.  Was thinking I can just add a button manually vs the one that's included in the Member Area block but then wouldn't be able to accept payment. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, SherriDP said:

Is it possible to add an application form (or form block) within the member areas for members to complete prior to check out? I know that MemberSpace is an option but would really like to keep this all in SquareSpace. Thank you!

I've just come here to find this out. Squarespace seemed to imply that creating a custom checkout form would do this but I am creating a free-to-join members area, where I want to collect certain information on them joining.
Has anyone got any further on this?

Thanks, John

John

breathe.design

• 10 months later...

I've just found out (from Squarespace live chat) that it is NOT possible to customize the JOIN form for member areas. I want to capture additional information about users when they register to join my member area. This seems like a pretty basic and obvious functionality. Surely every business requires this. Am I missing something?

Functionality I'm trying to achieve:

• 1 member page (yes, only 1 page!) in my site is only available to registered users (members)
  • if a non-signed-in user tries to go there they go to an access denied page and are challenged to JOIN or SIGN IN - once done successfully they can go to the member page
  • if a signed-in user tries to go there they get to the member page without challenge
  • This is all working fine
  • BUT ... the Squarespace JOIN form only asks for firstname, lastname, email, create password, re-type password. I want to ask for additional information: mobile number, date of birth, nationality, which part of the country they live in, interests (tags) ... this will allow me to send more relevant comms to them.

This seems pretty straightforward to me but I just can't figure it out. I've asked Squarespace live chat and they tell me I need to use their regular member area JOIN form and then ask members to fill in another separate form! This would really suck.

Would really appreciate any ideas, examples or help please.

Site URL: https://www.lacreme.ae/

I've just found out (from Squarespace live chat) that it is NOT possible to customize the JOIN form for member areas. I want to capture additional information about users when they register to join my member area. This seems like a pretty basic and obvious functionality. Surely every business requires this. Am I missing something?

Functionality I'm trying to achieve:

• 1 member page (yes, only 1 page!) in my site is only available to registered users (members)
  • if a non-signed-in user tries to go there they go to an access denied page and are challenged to JOIN or SIGN IN - once done successfully they can go to the member page
  • if a signed-in user tries to go there they get to the member page without challenge
  • This is all working fine
  • BUT ... the Squarespace JOIN form only asks for firstname, lastname, email, create password, re-type password. I want to ask for additional information: mobile number, date of birth, nationality, which part of the country they live in, interests (tags) ... this will allow me to send more relevant comms to them.

This seems pretty straightforward to me but I just can't figure it out. I've asked Squarespace live chat and they tell me I need to use their regular member area JOIN form and then ask members to fill in another separate form! This would really suck.

I love Squarespace and I just cannot believe something so simple isn't possible!

Would really appreciate any ideas, examples or help please.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, Dashford said:

I've just found out (from Squarespace live chat) that it is NOT possible to customize the JOIN form for member areas. I want to capture additional information: mobile number, date of birth, nationality, which part of the country they live in, interests (tags) ... this will allow me to send more relevant comms to them.

This seems pretty straightforward to me but I just can't figure it out. I've asked Squarespace live chat and they tell me I need to use their regular member area JOIN form and then ask members to fill in another separate form!

Sadly, they are 100% correct. It's one of a number of limitations of Member Sites previously called Member Areas.

You cannot prompt customers for information during sign-up and it won't be possible to change this, even with code.

As you heard, you can use workaround that prompt for this information before or after the or sign-up by using a form, but the responses can only be sent off-platform, for example into an email or a Google sheet. You won't be able to capture this and store it in the member's profile because tags and notes cannot be edited programmatically (you must edit them manually). 

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope it saves you some time.

Did this help you today? Please provide feedback by clicking a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@Paul2009 thanks so much for the explanation. It does save me time, thank you.

One thing I am not clear on ... could I build my own form (which includes all the additional fields I want) and use this as a member registration? I.e. do it outside of the standard JOIN via access denied page? I'm happy to pay a Squarespace consultant to do it ... if it is possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I came up with a work around for this too.

On the join page I got rid of any and all buttons that link to the join form that lets you create an account with just your name and email address.
Then I used the "add a section" to create a "form" that had all my personalized membership form questions on it. 
When you hit submit on the form there is an option in editing to have a confirmation page shown OR a redirect page that automatically takes you to a landing page. 
So I created a payment page with my membership options that is unlisted and can only be accessed using the auto-redirect from the form submission. Then they select their membership option, pay, make an account, etc. but I have already gotten the membership form filled out from them and can go from there. 

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 10:02 PM, AnnieChase said:

On the join page I got rid of any and all buttons that link to the join form that lets you create an account with just your name and email address.

How did you handle the "Log In" button? When I click Log In, an option appears in the bottom corner to "make an account".

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have a Members Area for my website and part of the paid sign up includes a printed book and certificate posted out. 

I just need to add additional fields to the Member Areas sign up form to ensure I capture this info and can fulfil the membership offering to everyone. 

Surely this is possible? 

Or if not, does anyone have a workaround they've used to expand on the details they capture from their sign ups? I tried doing an email with a link to a Mailchimp form and also added a link to the form in the account area imploring members to update their details to receive their welcome pack, but it's only resulted in a third of sign ups completing those details.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I have a Members Area for my website and part of the paid sign up includes a printed book and certificate posted out. 

I just need to add additional fields to the Member Areas sign up form to ensure I capture this info and can fulfil the membership offering to everyone. 

Surely this is possible? 

Or if not, does anyone have a workaround they've used to expand on the details they capture from their sign ups? I tried doing an email with a link to a Mailchimp form and also added a link to the form in the account area imploring members to update their details to receive their welcome pack, but it's only resulted in a third of sign ups completing those details.

Thanks in advance!

• 11 months later...